Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Indiana to open vaccines to residents 16 and older, including college students

This report was updated March 25 at 12:03 a.m.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb announced in a Tuesday press conference that beginning Wednesday, March 31 all Hoosiers 16 years and older will be eligible to register to receive the coronavirus vaccine.

St. Joseph County deputy health officer Dr. Mark Fox told The Observer college students living in Indiana also qualify under this new update.

In an email to international students Wednesday, the University said F-1 or J-1 visa holders would be eligible for the vaccine if they have a temporary or permanent address in Indiana and have been in residence in the state for at least 6 months. Proof of residence with a document will be required, the email said.

In addition, Holcomb said the statewide mask mandate will expire April 6 when it will turn into a mask advisory. Starting April 6, capacity limits for gatherings and venues will be at the discretion of local officials as opposed to state officials.

Holcomb said face coverings will still be mandatory in all state buildings and facilities, as well as in all vaccination and COVID-19 testing sites, until further notice.

The state will open additional mass vaccination sites like the one to be hosted at Notre Dame this weekend in April, Holcomb said.