Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Senate presents Nancy J. Walsh Award, discusses nutrition initiatives 

The student senate converged in Jordan Hall 105 Wednesday evening to hear from the Club Coordination Council (CCC) and vote on several resolutions.

The meeting began with a presentation by members of the CCC, the body on campus that funds, supports and collaborates with clubs. They announced that they are currently in the process of disbursing funds to clubs that applied for supplementary spring funding, and they presented their timeline for spring allocation by which they will plan how to distribute funds to clubs next year.

At the end of their presentation, CCC president Ricardo Pozas Garza talked about the core values of the CCC, emphasizing that “it has every intention of being as transparent, clear, and honest in the method in which funding is distributed.”

After the CCC presented, the senate announced an order to establish the Nancy J. Walsh Irish Clover Award named after student government office assistant Nancy Walsh. Created to honor Walsh’s hard work and dedication in the student government office, the award will be given to two members of the Notre Dame community for their service to the student body. One recipient will be a student or alum, while the other recipient will be a faculty staff or administrator.

Walsh attended the meeting via Zoom and the Senate surprised her with the award.

You guys are the best,” she said. “You’re the best before you did that, as always. But thank you all.” 

After this resolution passed unanimously, senators presented two resolutions related to nutrition and Campus Dining. The first consisted of an initiative to make it safer and easier for students with allergies to eat in the dining halls. This resolution contained measures such as including nutritional information, ingredients and allergen resources for retail locations on-campus on the Campus Dining website, as well as removing nuts from recipes served in general service lines and only providing pre-packaged nuts or butter for consumption.

The second of the two food-related resolutions sought to embolden the partnership between the Campus Dining Nutritional Counseling team and Notre Dame students, including sending an email to all first-year and transfer students with information regarding food allergies. 

Sophomore senator Eliza Smith, who worked on this initiative, noted that students would be able to have a “continued relationship” with the Nutritional Team.

Finally, members of the senate requested the re-installation of the rims on the bookstore basketball hoops. Senators discussed the issue’s importance, considering that physical activity is an essential component of to mental health. Mayo Clinic research was offered to argue that this sport is a COVID-safe activity.

Next week the Senate will reconvene to talk about resolutions regarding classwork over mini-breaks and the Moreau First Year Experience.