Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Saint Mary’s to require COVID-19 vaccination for student enrollment in 2021-2022 academic year

College President Katie Conboy announced in a Monday email that all students are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine for the upcoming academic year. The vaccine will be added to the list of mandatory student immunizations beginning in the 2021-2022 term.

With students vaccinated, Saint Mary’s will plan to have complete in-person instruction and a traditional two-semester schedule, Conboy said. In addition, the College’s current mask mandate and group gathering requirements will be lifted.

Conboy explained the College’s decision to mandate student vaccines, discussing the uncertainties surrounding COVID-19. 

There is so much yet to learn about the COVID-19 virus, and while we are encouraged by the progress made thus far, we still see areas for concern; in particular the variant strains and what they could bring,” Conboy said. “For this reason, among others, we are making the bold choice to mandate student vaccines.” 

According to Conboy, the College will offer exemption to the vaccine policy for proper medical and religious reasons.

Conboy encouraged students to sign up for appointment slots at the upcoming vaccination clinic — which opens Friday — if they have not already done so. More information about the requirement can be found on the College’s website.