Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

University to forgo exit, surveillance testing if 90% of student body becomes fully vaccinated

The University will no longer require surveillance testing and exit testing for those who are fully vaccinated if 90% of undergraduate and professional students become fully vaccinated, University President Fr. John Jenkins announced in an email Wednesday afternoon.

Additionally, $15 will be added to each student’s Irish1Card if this second 90% threshold is reached, according to Jenkins. Students who received either one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines count as fully vaccinated. Those who were vaccinated at an off-campus location must upload proof of vaccination to their student portal, he said.

Jenkins also said two special events planned for Senior Week will be able to take place if 90% of seniors become fully vaccinated.

The University will administer the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine at the Compton Family Ice Arena beginning Thursday and ending May 6.

Jenkins commended the community for its resilience during the academic year. 

“I am proud of you and proud of this community. Amid so many challenges, the resilience, generosity, caring and creativity of this community — students, faculty and staff — has been inspiring,” Jenkins said. “You have demonstrated what it means to be Notre Dame.”