Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

College names Rev. Daniel P. Horan new director of Center for Spirituality

Saint Mary’s has appointed Rev. Daniel P. Horan, OFM, as the director of the Center for Spirituality and professor of philosophy and religious studies at the College. Horan’s appointment takes effect beginning August 16.

Horan is a Franciscan friar and Roman Catholic priest. He is also a renowned author and columnist known for his literary work, lectures and podcast. He studied theology and journalism at St. Bonaventure University, also earning a master’s of arts in systematic theology and a master’s in divinity at the Washington Theological Union. He earned his doctorate of philosophy degree in systematic theology from Boston College.

Molly Gower, interim vice president for the College’s Division of Mission, shared her excitement regarding Horan’s appointment.

“I am delighted that Father Dan is joining the community at Saint Mary’s College,” Gower said. “He is a leading light in theology and spirituality.”

Most recently acting as the Duns Scotus Chair of Spirituality at the Catholic Theological Union in Chicago, Horan has also served in ministry at Sienna College, St. Bonaventure University and Boston College. Horan has earned numerous awards for his theological publications and holds an honorary doctorate from Felician University.

Horan said he is honored to take up this new role and serve the College community.

Established in 1984 in order to support, advance and uplift women in the Church and beyond, the Center for Spirituality was the first of its kind in the U.S. The Center regularly offers programs centering around contemporary religious issues, including lecture series, small group sessions and community service events.

“The Center for Spirituality is blessed with a tremendous legacy and has played a leading role over the years,” Horan said. “I look forward to contributing to this significant work in the years to come.”