Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Saint Mary’s moves deadline for COVID-19 booster requirement to Jan. 21

This report was updated Dec. 22 at 3:49 p.m.

Saint Mary's College moved the booster requirement deadline to Jan. 21, and students will need to provide booster documentation by that date, according to an email sent Dec. 22.

Interim vice president for student affairs Gloria Roldan Jenkins originally announced the College will extend the COVID-19 vaccine requirement to include the booster in an email Thursday, Dec. 9. The original deadline was Feb. 28.

The email said the change was motivated by increasing numbers of breakthrough cases in those fully vaccinated and Notre Dame’s recent booster deadline change.

“Because many of you attend classes at the University, and socialize with tri-campus students, this measure helps protect our entire community,“ the most recent email said.

The requirement for the booster applies to students living on campus and those who live off campus but have classes in person or use on-campus services.

Students who have previously received an exemption do not need to reapply to be exempt from the booster requirement, according to the email.

The email said students are not required to receive the booster before leaving campus for winter break, but everyone who received a vaccine in the spring of 2021 vaccination clinic are now eligible and encouraged to get a booster shot.

“Having the booster before you travel can provide added protection for you and those with whom you come into contact,” the Dec. 9 email said.

The All Together website has a resource page with a list of locations near campus that offer the vaccine booster. Those students who have already received the booster can submit documentation to Medicat, the College’s medical records system.

The email said students who are not eligible to get the booster before the Jan. 21 deadline — because they received their Johnson & Johnson vaccine or their second Pfizer or Moderna dose less than 6 months prior — must contact the Health and Counseling Center to determine their deadline for submitting proof of the booster shot.