Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Colors and festivities

As colors and festivities remain alike in all cultural formats, today, March 18 is being celebrated as the festival of ‘Holi’ in the Indian subcontinent far across in South Asia. Being one of the most popular festivals in India, Holi, along with Diwali, is one of the two culturally symbolic celebrations that may be regarded as being popular worldwide. Holi, a festival of spring, is marked by a tradition of playing with dry and liquid colors, painting each other in vibrant hues on this day. A typical Holi celebration is marked by colors and food that extend across a wide range. As the cultural aspect is inherently weaved into the customs that surround festivals, it is only the ‘colors’ that transcend to the global realm. While the Notre Dame campus remains inclusive of all cultural dimensions, it is an understanding of common traditional festivities that may serve to strengthen the intercultural ties. Thus as we celebrate the Saint Patrick’s Day through the color green, let us extend the color horizon to countless by getting together on more of such festive celebrations. And as cultural interactions remain inexhaustibly diverse, I, as the Hindi Fulbright Language Teaching Assistant at the Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures at Notre Dame, invite you to join us for a presentation and discussion on ‘Festivals in India’ on Monday, March 21 at Bond Hall 334 at 6:00 pm. As we all have our unique experiences with celebrations and festivals, this is an invitation to get together and share our cultural perceptions with some Indian cultural insights and tastes!  

Amrita Sharma

Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant

Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures

March 17