Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024

Irish thrash Golden Eagles in non-conference battle

Notre Dame Men’s Lacrosse team took the win against Marquette Tuesday night in Milwaukee, making this their third win in a row and bringing their record to 5-4. The Irish were led by junior attack Jake Taylor with five goals. Graduate student midfielder Wheaton Jackoboice added four goals. 

The first period started off slowly for the Irish, with the Golden Eagles scoring the first goal within two minutes. Notre Dame’s defense kept up their energy, however, forcing multiple turnovers and winning ground balls. The Irish picked up momentum five minutes into the period, beginning with Jackoboice's first goal. Marquette’s goalie Michael Allieri held his ground with a few additional saves despite Notre Dame’s vigorous offensive attack. The Irish offense held control of most of the rest of the first period, picking up the pace with around five minutes left and scoring three goals in a row. First, junior attack Pat Kavanagh scored, followed by senior midfielder Quinn McCahon. Kavanagh also assisted Taylor's first two goals. Jackoboice closed the quarter just as he had opened it. This time, his fourteenth goal of the season gave the Irish a 6-2 lead.

Notre Dame took control of the ball at the beginning of the second period. Chris Kavanagh did not hesitate, scoring twice within the first three minutes. He was assisted by senior attack Griffin Westlin, and freshman midfielder Will Angrick, respectively, bringing the score to 8-2. The action passed between the two teams for a while in the middle of the game, both defenses holding their own. Taylor and Jackoboice both pulled hat tricks in the first half, helping to bring the Irish to a 12-5 lead at the close of the second period. 

Marquette started strong in the third period, with Bobby O’Grady scoring his 36th goal of the season. They held the energy for a while but the Irish defense responded well, not allowing a goal. The game went scoreless for nearly seven minutes. However, Taylor broke up the lull, scoring his 16th goal of the season assisted by McCahon. Chris Kavanagh took two shots on the goal in the last ten seconds of the period. Marquette picked up their offensive energy this quarter, but Notre Dame would not let them catch up. Liam Entenmann made five saves within the third quarter. The Irish retained their lead at 14-7 at the end of the period. 

The Golden Eagles put up a good fight, but the Irish offense dominated. They put away any little remaining doubt, scoring four more times in the fourth quarter. Graduate student Michael Fay notched the Irish's last goal, scoring his first of the season within the final minute of the game. The Irish displayed their increasingly explosive offense in this one. The victory puts Notre Dame in a good place to finish off their season in the next three games against North Carolina, Syracuse, and Duke. 

The Irish first take the field next on April 21, at home, against the Tar Heels.