Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Farewell to Trader Joe's Takis

Why are Trader Joe’s Rolled Corn Torilla Chips (aka Takis) so good? This is a legitimate question. There is no other snack on the market that I get genuinely disappointed when there are not in stock. I am not a big fan of traditional Takis, but, for some reason, the Trader Joe’s chips are gold.

This is a very different inside column than I usually write, but as I was doing my grocery shopping the other day, I stumbled upon a fully stocked shelf of this magical snack in our local Trader Joe’s and felt this needed to be addressed.

Last year, I was looking for a new study snack and my friend suggested I tried Trader Joe’s version of Takis. So, as a frequent patron of Trader Joe’s, I picked up a bag and headed home, unaware of their popularity. The spicy and tangy snack was unlike anything I’ve had before, so I made sure to put it on my grocery list for the following week.

Savoring every chip, I returned a week later and there were none. How could this be? Unbeknownst to me, this was one of their most popular snacks and stores have been struggling to maintain enough inventory, but that isn’t all...

Turns out, earlier this fall, Mr. Trader Joe decided to temporarily pull the beloved snack from the shelves. Many stores are doing their best to stockpile the savory snack to compensate for the demand, but bags are still flying off the shelves. But, even before the official decision to discontinue the spicy treat was announced, their popularity contributed to their scarcity, and their impending termination is rubbing chili and lime in the wound.

Nevertheless, it’s the perfect snack for any occasion: studying, hanging out with friends, or going to the beach. Each chip has the perfect crunch, they’re not too crispy, and the chili lime flavor comes through without being overly spicy. The flavor profile is evenly balanced, which is great for every spice preference, and even though you’re left with red dust on your fingers, it’s a small price to pay for an enjoyable snacking experience. Also, a bag of chips is only $2.50, a fair price for deliciousness.

To some, there may be no difference between traditional Takis and Trader Joe’s version, but every chip feels like it was made with love, and their limited availability makes it all the more exciting.

So, Trader Joe’s, please don’t get rid of everyone’s favorite snack. Please and thank you.

You can contact Willoughby at wthom@nd.edu.

The views expressed in this Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.