Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Badin rector leaves, second departure announced this week

Azucena “Ceni” De La Torre, the former rector of Badin Hall, left her position late this week, according to an email sent to Badin residents Friday afternoon. De La Torre's departure is the second to be announced in three days, following Walsh Hall's former rector Kate Palko on Wednesday. De La Torre previously worked with campus ministry at DePaul University.

A reliable source relayed to The Observer that "this departure is not related to any kind of wrongful or inappropriate conduct."

The email sent to residents from Nathan Elliot, director of residential life for training and development, also announced that Sr. Mary Lynch will lead the Badin community until a new rector is hired in January. Lynch is the former rector of McGlinn Hall and a current staff-in-residence who lives on campus.

Lynch — like Carol Latronica, who is acting as the fill-in rector for Walsh — will not move into the dorm. According to the email, Lynch "will be present in different ways, including supervising the staff and offering a rector’s expertise through the rest of the semester."

In a GroupMe message sent to residents, assistant rector Godgift Iteghete acknowledged residents' reactions to De La Torre's sudden departure.

"We understand many of you may have built a relationship with [De La Torre] and are distraught to hear the news," Iteghete said in the message.

She also said that further details would not be provided to residents.

"As per receiving further details regarding this matter please understand that hall staff is not at liberty to discuss further as it is a private Residential Life employee matter," she wrote.

Elliot noted that Lynch would be present in Badin Hall Friday night from 7 to 9 p.m. and urged residents to reach out with concerns.

"I know that change can be hard, but I'm confident we have a good plan to get us through this period of time. Please feel free to reach out to Sr. Mary or stop by to meet her tonight," he wrote.