Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

2,000 students attend SAO’s annual Activities Night

An estimated 2,000 students flooded Notre Dame Stadium to learn about and apply for new clubs and activities in the annual Activities Night on Tuesday night.

1693354990-13ce23e17975ddb
Students stop at tables that line the concourse of Notre Dame Stadium to learn more about the different clubs at the Activities Fair.

Clusters of students, mostly first-years and sophomores, strained to grab a map of the activities layout, which spanned across the entirety of the stadium concourse. All around students shuffled by, sporting complementary plastic totes filled with pamphlets, t-shirts and candy from various tables. 

When asked what she thought of the event, sophomore Cate Lynch said that she thought it was “a little overstimulating at first, but it’s also kind of exciting to see all of the clubs and activities that Notre Dame has to offer.”

From the Herbivore Club to The Shirt Committee, Notre Dame has no shortage of variety in its clubs and activities. Freshman Kylie Staebler joked that some of the clubs who invited her to sign up just weren’t a good fit for her. "I was asked by an A capella group, 'do I sing?,’ and I said, very respectfully, 'you don’t want me to.’”

Clubs employed a variety of methods to attract new members. Some offered incentives in the form of free gifts; which ranged from t-shirts and candy to Crumbl cookies from Dance Marathon and fanny packs from the Catholic Education Alliance. 

Many clubs caught the eyes of new members through their lavish table decorations. The Radio Club erected what appeared to be a miniature cell phone tower that said “WSND” in led lights. The table was complimented with classic records and a poster board listing all of the leadership and creative opportunities the club provides.

The Shirt Committee’s table was decorated with t-shirts made by the committee in years and decades past. Club Vice President Molly Sullivan explained “the Shirt designs and markets the shirt that students wear to the first home football game. It’s super popular with students and alumni and the proceeds from selling the shirt go to student organizations and student medical funds.”

Some of the clubs were more geared towards service, like the Timmy Global Health Club. The club works all year to plan a Medical Brigade to Ecuador. They travel with physicians from the US and partner with local Ecuadorian doctors to help provide health care to those who lack it in Ecuador.

1693355137-a274e314d586115
The Notre Dame Swim club poses with their posters and booth at the Student Activities Fair.

Other clubs were more activity and community oriented, like Notre Dame Club Swimming. “Club Swim is absolutely the best team on campus” said team treasurer Paul David Quimby. “We go to meets at different Universities around the country and have practice four days a week, which you can attend as little or as much as you want to” Quimby explained. “The people are the best and the community that we build is really lovely. There’s no requirements, everyone should join!”

Holding up colorful posters, dressing up in funny outfits and passing out bags of free candy while eagerly explaining the details of their club, these students stopped at nothing to attract new members and showcase their respective missions.