Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Student discounts: untapped savings for college students

With classes back in session, Notre Dame students are not alone in their search for savings. As Uber rides and DoorDash orders drain wallets, full-time college students often struggle to save summer job funds. But there are many student discounts and promotions left untapped, often because students simply don’t know about them. 

Student discounts have become a marketing tool utilized by a variety of industries. Not only does more affordable pricing help attract a new segment of customers, but student discounts also help businesses build brand loyalty and display a commitment to supporting education.

Music streaming platform Spotify, for example, offers Spotify Premium Student. The program includes a three-month free trial of Spotify Premium as well as Hulu (with ads). Following this trial, students can continue their access to both platforms for a cost of $5.99 per month, compared to the typical pricing of $10.99 per month for Spotify Premium and $7.99 per month for a Hulu subscription. This offer is scheduled to end Sept. 12. 

Saving on streaming does not end there. Students can get Peacock Premium for a price of $1.99 per month for 12 months. Apple Music targets students with a $5.99 monthly price (for up to 48 months), compared to the typical individual price of $10.99. Paramount Plus offers 25% off on student subscriptions.

However, streaming services are not the only businesses that recognize student purchasing power. Many Notre Dame students, just like other college students across the country, rely on quick shipping. Whether buying groceries to save up flex points, or scrambling for last-minute gameday essentials, students cling to the convenience of mega-retailers Amazon, Target and Walmart. These big names also offer student discounting. 

On Amazon, students can get a six-month free trial of the Prime student membership, followed by a discounted price of $69 per year — about half of the standard $139 annual membership. Prime student memberships also include a one-month free trial of Grubhub+ Student, which offers $0 in delivery fees for participating restaurants. 

Walmart mirrored this Amazon strategy, offering their own student Walmart+ membership at a price of $6.47 per month — or $49 per year, half of the standard $98 yearly fee. Target took a slightly different approach, offering one 20% off storewide discount for students with Target Circle, but this discount ends Saturday. 

For those looking to plan their spring breaks early, they may be happy to hear that student discounting always applies to the travel industry. Until Dec. 31, United Airlines is offering a 5% discount for anyone between the ages of 18 and 23 that books through their United App. Likewise, the website StudentUniverse has founded their entire business structure on procuring the cheapest flights, hotels and cars for students looking to travel during their college experience. 

If streaming, quick shipping and travel are not on the to-do list, there is still hope for saving. The website and app, UNiDAYS, serves as a sort of one-stop-savings platform for all things beauty, food and drink, fashion, fitness and technology. Students can explore the website by creating an account and verifying their enrollment with their “.edu” email address. After this initial verification, the app includes promotional offerings for many retailers, including American Eagle/Aerie, Adidas, Under Armour, Dell, Expedia, Levi’s and many more.  

Back in South Bend, students can continue exploring the various discount offerings.

Cinemark’s South Bend theater offers student pricing every weekday, simply for presenting a student ID at the box office. On campus, Notre Dame has made a premium Calm App subscription — typically $69.99 per year — available to students that follow the online steps and sign-up with their NetID email.