Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

Aaron Bremyer named director of College’s Office for Student Success

Aaron Bremyer returned to Saint Mary’s this academic year as director of the Office for Student Success.

During a prior stint in South Bend about a decade ago, Bremyer directed the writing center, instructed English and taught in the “W Program” at Saint Mary’s. Most recently, Bremyer instructed literature and first-year writing at the University of West Georgia for three years.

Bremyer’s family returned to South Bend when his wife got a job at Notre Dame in 2020.

“[I enjoyed working with] some wonderful teachers and scholars, and [I] was very, very happy,” Bremyer said. “But [the position at Saint Mary’s] sort of opened up, and I got thinking about different ways that I might be able to offer something in this position given that I’ve done lots of teaching [and] lots of student service, such as writing centers.”

In his new role as Office for Student Success director, Bremyer said he wants to make the College more accessible.

“[I will be] helping every single student on campus who wants to make use of our resources, our space — who wants to have a conversation with me about perhaps things that they are struggling with but also what works well for them,” Bremyer said.

Bremyer said his goals for this year include instituting a new program for accountability and integrating healthy study habits for students.

So far this year, Bremyer said he has enjoyed his experience at Saint Mary’s.

“I am excited every day to continue defining this position for myself,” Bremyer said.

While working as director of the Office for Student Success, Bremyer also teaches three classes at the College, including two sections of an education class called “Strategies for Academic Success.”

Bremyer explained that he enjoys the students at Saint Mary’s as much as he has enjoyed students anywhere.

“The physical space of being in the library … it’s a fantastic place to house what are called Learning Commons now,” Bremyer said.

Bremyer said that having the writing and tutoring center — which is located in rooms 308 to 310 on the third floor of the Cushwa-Leighton Library — so close to the Office for Student Success and in the same building as the Accessibility Resources Office makes sense.

According to Bremyer, students at Saint Mary’s should make use of campus resources to supplement their academic habits and ultimately help them succeed. Bremyer added that he is “very open” about his own struggles and intends not to normalize failure but to “destigmatize” it.

“With small shifts and small changes, we can begin to change our behaviors and our habits,” he said.