Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Belles soccer, volleyball can’t dig out of early holes

You can’t win a game in the first half or set, but you can lose it then. The Saint Mary’s volleyball and soccer teams were reminded of that Tuesday. Both teams found themselves down early and, despite their best efforts, could not recover to pull out a victory.

The Belles soccer team saw their red-hot offense stifled in their conference play opener against Trine. After winning their previous four games by a combined margin of 12-0, the Thunder snapped the Belles hot streak with a 2-0 victory. It took just 2:36 for Trine to take the lead courtesy of Abby Robinson’s seventh goal of the season.

Thunder keeper Sophie Aschemeier was the difference maker, turning aside all four shots on goal she faced. Despite outshooting Trine 9-4 in the second half, the Belles couldn’t break through. A late insurance marker by Reganne Koskela put the game out of reach. The Belles record fell to 5-4 with the defeat. They will return to action on Sunday at 2 p.m. for a home match against Hiram. This contest is their final non-conference game of the regular season.

The Belles volleyball team came even closer to completing their comeback efforts. All five sets in their MIAA opener against Kalamazoo were decided by fewer than three points. Set three even needed two extra points to be decided. After losing the first two sets, the Belles survived a potential match point in that set before taking the last three points of set four to win 25-23 and send the game the distance.

Despite jumping out to a 4-1 lead, Kalamazoo was the team to rally this time, taking the final three points to win the set 15-12 and the match in five sets. Freshman middle hitter Caroline Carens led the team with 12 kills and six blocks. Junior libero Bethany DiSilvestro paced St. Mary’s in digs with 18. The Belles will seek their first win of conference play Friday at 6:30 p.m. at Calvin.