Sunday, Sept. 8, 2024

Community and resilience: Sophomore running back Price shines in home debut

1694115690-2b175b8ef74524f-700x467
Sophomore running back Jadarian Price celebrates his 40-yard receiving touchdown in the third quarter of Notre Dame’s 56-3 win over Tennessee State on Saturday.

With two touchdowns in two games, sophomore running back Jadarian Price has already made a name for himself in his debut season for the Irish. It was a debut long anticipated by both him and Irish fans after he arrived in South Bend with promising potential but missed his freshman year due to an achilles injury. Yet, after just over a year of recovery, Price said he has “no limitations physically whatsoever.” His long recovery has led to him to approach this season with a sense of gratitude.

Price’s lost season proved to be a season of gains for junior Audric Estime, who has since become the team’s undisputed lead running back. But Price has also become a significant part of the position group and the Irish offense as a whole in two short weeks. He cited teammates like Estime as being instrumental in developing his work ethic during his time on the sideline and in initial practices.

“Audric [Estime] definitely sets the tone every week, every practice, and I’m grateful to have him as a teammate,” Price said. “He’s powerful. I feel like I’ve got to go in there and match the same energy.”

While not necessarily in the limelight, Price operates as a key part of the backfield. He ran for a 19-yard score against Navy and caught a touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Steve Angeli against Tennessee State. Price said he had envisioned his success in the game against Tennessee State, which made the moment all the more surreal as he crossed into the end zone of Notre Dame Stadium.

“I do that, I imagine success in my head before a play,” he said. “It was pretty crazy to realize.”

As if the moment could not get any more special, Price received the pass from Angeli, who is his roommate. This only increased his excitement for their touchdown play and the “group effort” it took to make it happen.

“Steve’s my best friend … It just happened to be him. I happened to be his first touchdown pass.” Price said. “I’m going to the end zone laughing because Steve just threw me a touchdown.”

Additionally, having Angeli as a roommate has been a way for both players to learn from each other. They talk through the lessons they've learned and their anticipation for the season outside of practice. Price said he has watched Angeli emerge as a team leader and gleaned lessons of his own from his friend. He said Angeli takes the helm and makes sure all members of the offense are energized in the huddle, which Price himself appreciates. He named graduate student quarterback Sam Hartman as a major force in Angeli’s development, which in turn affects his own experience.

“Sam is a great guy. He’s got a lot of experience. He takes Steve under his wing and, you know, Steve being my best friend, my roommate, I learn things from him as well,” he said.

Price said his family came to South Bend for the Tennessee State game, making his performance even more memorable. Sharing that moment with his family gave him an opportunity to look ahead to his own future at Notre Dame with them.

“I have relatives who went to an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities),” Price said. “They actually came to the game and it was huge for them, seeing a program like Notre Dame get a chance to play an HBCU school. And I think it’s a good thing for our history of college football overall and Notre Dame, as well. I think we’re leading on to some great things in the future.”