Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

Farley Hall rector departs after one month temporary leave

1695157092-74284094f408e8d-700x525
Farley Hall, dedicated to Rev. John "Pop" Farley, C.S.C., is photographed Sept. 19, 2023.

Farley Hall rector Tricia McCarthy will not return from temporary leave, according to a Sept. 15 email to the Farley community by Breyan Tornifolio, director of Residential Life for residential education.

The announcement included a note from McCarthy.

"Life in Farley has taught me to always be prepared for the unexpected — a late night hallway chat, a chapel leak, processing to Pop's grave by candlelight or the best bagel flavor being there on a Thursday morning," McCarthy wrote. "It is with sadness and gratitude that I share that I will not be returning to Farley as I take time to care for some unexpected things in my own life."

A Colorado native, McCarthy attended Loras College in Iowa and later earned her master's degree in theology through Notre Dame’s Echo Graduate Service Program. She previously served as director of campus ministry at Butler University.

On Aug. 15, Tornifolio wrote to the Farley community about McCarthy's temporary leave. Tornifolio said she expected McCarthy to be gone "a month or so." In McCarthy's absence, Carol Latronica, a former rector in Welsh Family Hall, supervised Farley Hall's staff, although she did not move into the building.

According to Tornifolio's Sept. 15 message, Latronica has formally agreed to be Farley Hall's interim rector. Tornifolio added that Residential Life will commence the hiring process for a permanent Farley rector in the coming weeks.