Friday, Oct. 11, 2024

Holy Cross soccer gears up for conference play, golf in a coaching search

1679404329-63ef42b0683ef93-700x392

Courtesy of Holy Cross Athletics

Soccer off to slow start

Last year, the Holy Cross men's and women's soccer teams both made it to the CCAC Playoffs in early November before losing to Olivet Nazarene. Now, both teams are trying to make a return to the postseason, with mixed results.

The men's team began their season on the road against Aquinas, falling 0-2. The team had much better results in their next two games, winning against IU East and Goshen by a combined margin of 5-0. However, the team is still searching for its first win of September, as they have started 0-3-1. The team fell 3-0 to Calvin in its final game before conference play on Tuesday.

The current scoring leader with two goals is junior forward Kevin Vidana. Sophomore goalkeeper Isaias Rubio leads the team with minutes in net at 225. In that time, he has allowed eight goals. Junior Armin Mahmutovic has faired much better in nearly an identical workload, allowing just three goals and posting a save percentage more than twice as high as Rubio's.

The Saints will officially start conference play when they host Governors State at 2:30 on Saturday.

The women's soccer team began their season with an upset of then No. 16 Grace College, knocking off the Lancers 2-0 at home. It has been tough sledding for the Saints since their season opener, however, as the team is now 2-4 in non-conference play. 

The team lost 4-1 to Bethel before snagging a 3-2 win against IU East. The team closed August with a tough 2-1 loss to Goshen. In September, the team lost both home games to Lourdes, 3-0, and Rochester, 2-1.

Senior midfielder Olivia Shaw leads the team with four goals and two assists. Junior goalkeeper Taylor Primack started the season in net, but an injury sidelined her. Now, first-year goalkeeper Payton Ladson is starting for the Saints. She has allowed 13 goals across five games.

The team will begin conference play this Saturday while hosting Governors State at Saints Field. Last season, the team beat Governors St. 5-0 at home.

Golf searching for new head coach

Last year, the men's and women's golf teams saw their head Coach, T.J. Mannen, resign in late September. Then assistant coach Aaron Martinez stepped in to fill the interim role with the school looking to begin a coaching search at the end of the season. 

The results of the coaching search were officially announced on July 17, with the school hiring Marc Green. Green was also hired on to fill the role of Sports Information Director.

According to the school’s press release, Green had coached golf at Ancilla College from 2005-2018 before coaching varsity softball at Tippecanoe Valley Middle/High School. Green also played golf at Goshen College. 

When The Observer reached out to interview Coach Green, he did not reply. The Observer then contacted the Assistant Athletic Director, Tyler Braidic, to inquire about Coach Greens' current status at the school.

Assistant AD Braidic declined to comment on Coach Green's employment status with the college. However, he did confirm that the school was actively looking for someone to fill the role of head golf coach. 

Both golf teams are scheduled to play in the Battle at Blackthorn on Sept. 29 and the Holy Cross Saints Classic on Oct. 9. Then, a week later, the two teams will finish fall play at the Harbor Shores Intercollegiate on Oct. 16. The men's team will also play in the Yellow Jacket Fall Invitational on Oct. 14.

Sign up for our Observer Sports newsletter! Have an Irish sports question? Ask it for our Observer Sports mailbag!