Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

Saint Mary’s to read banned books next week to advance literacy

The Saint Mary’s campus will celebrate expression and the freedom to read with Banned Books Week from Oct. 1 to Oct. 7.

Terri Suico, an education professor who helped plan the week-long observance, said the slate of events for Banned Books Week has expanded in recent years.

“Saint Mary’s has had events for Banned Books Week in the past, including read-ins, panels and giveaways,” Suico said. “For several years, it was sponsored by the Cushwa-Leighton Library and the education department. Now, we’ve expanded to include different departments and offices on campus. In addition to the library and education department, this year’s events are sponsored by the gender and women’s studies department, the English department, the Spark Lab and the Center for Academic Innovation.”

The first event of the week will be a read-in of challenged and banned books at the Cushwa-Leighton Library on Monday, Oct. 2 from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. The read-in, which will take place on the library’s third floor, will be open to any member of the campus community for listening or active participation.

On Oct. 5, from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., the Spark Lab is providing an opportunity for people to show their support for the fight against censorship by making custom buttons. The final event of the week is a talkback event Oct. 5 from 6 to 8 p.m. in Madeleva Hall 254A. Suico and Stacy Davis, a religious studies and theology professor, are hosting the talkback.

“There will also be ways for people to participate throughout the week, such as an interactive display at the library and a checklist of suggested activities that people can do to be entered in a drawing for prizes,” Suico said.

Suico explained that the event is more important than ever this year because book bannings have been in the national spotlight.

“[Banned Book Week] is an annual event that calls attention to book challenges and bans and emphasizes the importance of the freedom to read and access to information. It was started in 1982 because there had been an uptick in the number of books that were being banned and challenged,” she said. “This year, it is more important than ever, with record numbers of books being banned and challenged in 2022 and during [this] school year. We are seeing challenges to books all over the country from organized groups that are coordinating censorship efforts.”

Talks of banning books have even come to South Bend lately, according to Suico.

“While Florida and Texas are often the ones we hear about in the news, these groups are popping up everywhere. Recently, there have been attempts to remove and reshelve books at the St. Joseph County Public Library,” Suico said. “It’s important to note that the majority of Americans oppose book bans, so while the people who are trying to censor books are the minority, they are also a very vocal minority. Additionally, some politicians have taken on book challenges and bans as part of their platform.”

Lisa Karle, a circulation and fulfillment manager at Cushwa-Leighton Library who was involved in organizing Banned Books Week, said attempts to ban her favorite banned book — the original 1987 edition of “Where’s Waldo?” — showed how unnecessary book bans can be. According to Karle, the children’s book was challenged due to a sunbather being topless in the book’s crazy beach scene.

“I just think censoring a puzzle book over a drawing you practically need a magnifying glass to see is ridiculous,” Karle said. “It’s important to draw attention to censorship — perhaps this year more than ever — as it’s getting worse nationally. We are celebrating [Banned Books Week] at Saint Mary’s because we believe in and support everyone having the freedom to read what they choose.”

Suico added that reading banned and challenged books is vital at an institution of higher learning.

“Learning about different ideas and diverse perspectives can help expand our perspectives, improve our understanding of the world around us and develop our critical thinking skills,” Suico said. “LeVar Burton, who is this year’s honorary chair of Banned Books Week, has said books bring us together. They teach us about the world and each other. The ability to read and access books is a fundamental right and a necessity for lifelong success ... public advocacy campaigns like Banned Books Week are essential to helping people understand the scope of book censorship and what they can do to fight it.”