Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

SMC ranks in four categories in Best Colleges report

On September 18, Saint Mary’s College won four national rankings from the U.S. News and World Report’s list of Best Colleges. This list has been published every year since 1983 and ranks nearly 1,500 colleges across the country. 

Rankings are based on various factors, such as economic and ethnic diversity, aid granted, graduation rates and more. 

Saint Mary’s College came in at No. 82 for overall National Liberal Arts College. 

Additionally, they placed 42 in both “social mobility” and “best value” for National Liberal Arts Colleges. Social mobility looks at how the college graduated economically disadvantaged students. Best value compares the academic quality of the school to the average price paid by a full-time undergraduate. 

Finally, the College ranked No. 183 for the Best Undergraduate Nursing Program. This is the third year Saint Mary’s has earned this ranking, for which a school needs to be properly accredited and graduate 40 BSN degrees or more a year. 

President of the college Katie Conboy said she was pleased to see Saint Mary's recognized as a “premier destination” for women seeking a college education.

“The Sisters of the Holy Cross came here in 1844 with a big idea to give women access to education. We have always been guided by the Sisters’ concept: Read the signs of the times and respond to them,” Conboy said, in the press release.

“Saint Mary’s has been brilliant at recognizing what the world needs and developing the programs and people who can respond to those needs.”