Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

South Bend police receive report of shot fired on Eddy Street

1694024400-3c5bf92ed799540-700x525
Eddy Street Commons, one block south of campus, photographed at 12:09 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 5.

South Bend police received at least one report that a shot was fired at Eddy Street Commons on Sunday evening, authorities said.

Officers were dispatched to the 1200 block of N. Eddy St. around 10:40 p.m. Sunday in connection with a disturbance involving 50 to 100 people, according to the South Bend Police Department.

Police wrote in a Facebook post at 7:19 a.m. on Monday that juveniles created the disturbance. In addition to the gunshot, police received 911 calls about juveniles displaying guns and heavy fighting. One person was struck by a vehicle, according to the post.

Due to the size of the crowd, police could not confirm if Notre Dame students or community members were involved in the disturbance. Eddy Street Commons is one block south of campus.

Authorities said there were two other disturbances at Eddy Street Commons over Labor Day weekend in addition to the one that occurred Sunday night. All three were still under investigation as of Wednesday afternoon, police said.

The Notre Dame Police Department sent out a campus wide email Wednesday afternoon about the Labor Day weekend disturbances near campus. According to the message, Notre Dame police have been in contact with the South Bend Police Department and the "managing partners" of Eddy Street Commons and the Foundry about the disturbances.

"In addition to expanding already existing private security and off-duty police patrols, an increased police presence and numerous additional measures will be put into place," the email read.

In a second Facebook post Wednesday afternoon, the South Bend Police Department wrote that it believes the disturbances which occurred over Labor Day weekend were outliers.