Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024

Student senate promotes Red Zone Awareness Week

Wednesday afternoon, the second iteration of the Notre Dame student senate took place. A variety of hall and campus events were publicized, including Red Zone Awareness Week and Teach@ND Day. Nominations for the Judicial Council Election Committee were reviewed and applications for various positions of leadership within the Notre Dame community were explained.

In executive announcements, student body vice president Aidan Rezner introduced Red Zone Awareness Week.

“The Red Zone is a time from the start of the school year to Thanksgiving break where the majority of sexual assaults occur on college campuses,” Rezner explained.

According to Rezner, the aim of the initiative is to bring attention to this issue and show solidarity with students and survivors alike.

“Please where red on Fridays to show support for both sexual violence survivors and also to make it known that this a horrible time and we don’t support it here at Notre Dame,” Rezner said.

Teach@ND Day was also stressed as a way for students to show appreciation for members of the Notre Dame faculty. The event allows students to send a note to any professor who they believe made a difference or impact on their lives. All notes must be submitted by Friday.

The senate moved on to new business. First on the docket were nominations for Judicial Council’s peer advocates, followed by nominations for Judicial Council election committee.

The twelve nominees for peer advocates were unanimously approved following a short question and debate period. 

Discussion surrounding the ten election committee nominees was marginally more involved, with questions fielded by vice president of elections Ryn Weiss.

“Each candidate has expressed an unparalleled enthusiasm for preserving justice and fairness in election procedure, and demonstrating a commitment to foster greater student engagement across campus,” Weiss said.

During questioning, it was revealed that four of the ten candidates were first year students. Next, qualifications for nominee Thomas Walsh was brought up for discussion. 

Walsh “has held previous positions with U.S.A. Swimming and he engaged in a lot of electoral regulations enforcement through that position,” Weiss said, “And within that he was drafting a lot of amendments to U.S.A. Swimming guidelines and just expressed a knowledge and enthusiasm about enforcing constitutional rules within the election committee.”

No debate ensued after the examination and all nominees for the election commission were given unanimous consent.

Conclduing with announcements, many hall events were promoted by individual senators. They included Breen-Phillips’ upcoming Hoops for Hope three-on-three basketball fundraiser for the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart, Lyons Carroll Halls' Volley for the Vets beach volleyball tournament and Sunday yoga on South Quad.