Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Irish continue ACC domination as bigger tests loom

1695585119-7cfde2f718245ad-700x677
The Notre Dame women's soccer team celebrates a goal during a 3-1 defeat of Wake Forest at Alumni Stadium on Sep. 15, 2023.

The three-game homestand the Notre Dame women's soccer team wrapped up Sunday weren't exactly banner games. The Irish played three teams — Louisville, Boston College and Miami — who are all in the back half of the ACC standings. But that's what made the stretch so important. Notre Dame's next two games are the two toughest games they could possibly have — road matches against No. 2 Florida State and No. 1 North Carolina. With the three teams right atop the ACC standings, it was essential for the Irish not to give up any ground.

After beating Louisville convincingly on Sept. 30, the Irish struggled a bit more against the Eagles. In fact, Eagles star Ella Richards gave her team the early lead with a rebound goal just 4:37 in. But the Irish eventually found their stride, gradually starting to take control of play. They got a huge payoff of their own late in the half. Freshman forward Charlie Codd tallied her first collegiate goal on an Irish rebound of their own in the 35th minute.

That momentum carried into the second half. While the Eagles peppered freshman goalkeeper Atlee Olofson, most of the nine shots they put on goal were fairly easy saves. A beautiful Notre Dame passing play resulted in senior midfielder Ellie Ospeck's go-ahead goal, with a beautiful backheel pass by graduate student midfielder Kristina Lynch. Boston College ratcheted up the pressure late, but the Irish put the game out of reach on a long-range strike by graduate student forward Maddie Mercado.

There was no slow start to Sunday's clash with Miami, however. It took just over half an hour for the Irish to match their goal tally from the entire Boston College game. By the time the dust settled, Notre Dame had its most goals in a single contest since Sept. 9, 2021, as they thrashed the Hurricanes with a 7-2 final.

“We moved the ball well,” Irish head coach Nate Norman said. “We just connected really well.”

Though the match isn't the final one at home for the Irish this season — that will come on Oct. 26 against No. 9 Clemson — Sunday's match doubled as the team's senior day. It certainly was one to remember, with five of the goals coming from seniors or graduate students. Lynch, Mercado, midfielder Kiki Van Zanten and defender Eva Gaetino (who was returning from a one-game injury absence) all found the back of the net, with Van Zanten tallying twice.

“These seniors are a really big part of the last three or four years, we've had some much success, and they've been a huge part of that evolution,” Norman said. “It was a great day.”

Freshmen forward Chayse Ying and Codd tallied their first and second collegiate goals, respectively. Ashley Naylor returned to goal for the Irish on senior day, her first action since Sept. 15. Senior Kaylin Slattery came on for the second half for her first game action of the year, notching a save.

The Irish return to action with the first match of their three-game road gauntlet against the No. 2 Seminoles on Oct. 12. The game is available to watch on the ACC Network.

Sign up for our Observer Sports newsletter!Have an Irish sports question? Ask it for our Observer Sports mailbag!