Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Irish nearing end of fall season after Evie Odom Invite

Just over one month after it began, the end of the fall season is nearing for the Notre Dame women’s golf team. After starting the year with a fifth-place finish, the Irish have posted lackluster performance over the past few weeks. That continued last weekend, as they came in 10th place at the Evie Odom Invitational, hosted by Old Dominion at Princess Anne Country Club in Virginia Beach. The Irish finished just six strokes behind sixth place College of Charleston.

Graduate student Lauren Beaudreau led the way for Notre Dame, as she often has throughout her collegiate career. Beaudreau shot 74-70-72 across the three rounds, finishing six over par and in a tie for 18th place. Freshman Mimi Burton and senior Chloe Schiavone were right behind her, finishing two strokes back in a tie for 23rd. All three golfers shot par in one of their rounds, with Burton doing so in round three and Schiavone in round one.

Graduate student Nina Rissi and junior Montgomery Ferreira had some uncharacteristic struggles in the event. Rissi did rebound from a first-round 78, improving her score by four strokes in each of the final two rounds. Ferreira also progressed following an opening round 79, going on to post scores of 76 and 73.

As a team, the Irish were one of the best in the event on par fours, finishing tied for second at 17 over par. Notre Dame wasn’t lacking for quality holes, finishing with the sixth-most birdies and being one of three schools to have an eagle in the event. However, consistency was an issue. Notre Dame notched just 160 pars overall, the third-fewest of any team.

The Irish finish their fall slate with an exciting opportunity to play at historic St. Andrews Links in Scotland at the St. Andrews Links College Invitational. Both the women’s and men’s teams end their fall campaigns there from Oct. 23 to 25.

Sign up for our Observer Sports newsletter!Have an Irish sports question? Ask it for our Observer Sports mailbag!