Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024

NDPD reports date rape druggings on campus, off-campus

A women’s drink was spiked with a date rape drug in a men’s residence hall over the weekend, according to the Notre Dame Police Department (NDPD).

NDPD received a report from the Title IX office about the drink spiking, which occurred in the night hours between Sept. 29 and Sept. 30, according to an email to the tri-campus community Thursday around 2 p.m.

According to the email, testing at the hospital confirmed the presence of the central nervous system depressant Rohypnol. NPDD added that the drugging was an aggravated battery as defined by Indiana law.

In addition to the on-campus drugging, the Title IX office recently received three separate reports of suspected drink spiking at Finnies Next Door in downtown South Bend, the email said. One of the alleged druggings took place in June of this year and two occurred in early September.

“In the early September incidents, the suspect was described as an older non-college aged white male with balding hair,” according to the email. “There is no indication that the incidents at Finnies Next Door are connected to the incident on campus.”

NDPD has been in contact with the South Bend Police Department about the suspected drink spikings, police added.