Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024

The Observer predicts Notre Dame vs. Louisville

1695747899-994abb827d4f6a6-700x467
Junior tight end Mitchell Evans and Irish offense celebrate during Notre Dame’s 17-14 loss to Ohio State at Notre Dame Stadium on Sept. 23.

José Sánchez Córdova, Assistant Managing Editor

I think Louisville’s No. 25 ranking is more of a mirage than proof of their excellence. They have played some pretty mediocre, if not flat-out bad, competition and, for the most part, haven’t been blowing people out. I expect Notre Dame to go into L&N Stadium and have a comfortable road win before the big one against USC. Expect the Irish defense to force multiple turnovers against a Cardinal offense that has struggled against competent defenses. The Irish offense should bounce back this week, especially with returning weapons Jayden Thomas, Jaden Greathouse and Eli Raridon.

Notre Dame 35, Louisville 14.

Andrew McGuinness, Sports Editor

This game has both short and long-term implications for the Irish. Obviously, every game is a big one for the rest of the way. But Notre Dame needs to instill confidence that it can win the necessary shootout looming next week against USC. The Irish haven’t hit on many big plays the last two weeks, especially through the air. The injured receiver corps contributed to that against Duke, but so did an offensive line that showed promise against the Buckeyes but has been inconsistent for most of the year. Expect another close game at halftime, but this time, the Irish should be able to pull away. Notre Dame 28, Louisville 10.

J.J. Post, Associate Sports Editor

I’m drawn between a couple of minds with this game. On one hand, Louisville is 5-0. On the other, they haven’t looked especially good (at least not 5-0 good) against Power Five opposition. On a hypothetical third hand, though, you’d be a fool to ignore Jeff Brohm’s history of having tricks up his sleeve for the biggest games his team plays. It’s another primetime game for the Irish, and Louisville will be rocking. But Notre Dame should have the advantage of momentum, sparked by Sam Hartman and Audric Estimé potentially saving the season with their late runs against Duke. Expect Notre Dame to lean on the run and try to pound a Louisville defense that’s shown some weaknesses early on into submission. Brohm’s high-powered offense will make this a contest, but I expect this to be a battle that has an ending more akin to NC State than Duke. Notre Dame 34, Louisville 24.

Emily DeFazio, Associate Sports Editor

After last week’s nail-biting, potentially season-saving, win against the Blue Devils, the Irish have a lot of momentum coming into this week (anyone else see the work of art that was this week’s Irish Access?). Not only that, Jayden Thomas, Jaden Greathouse and Eli Raridon are all back in action, significantly boosting the receiving corps Notre Dame had to operate with on a limited scale in Durham. Louisville is a top-25 team, but I expect a smoother, more definitive win this weekend, a welcome reprieve before next week’s long-awaited USC night game back in South Bend. Expect some showy plays on offense and a little room for experimentation in the second half that the comfortable lead will allow, as well as a dominant defensive line performance after they get their sea legs in the first quarter. Notre Dame 35, Louisville 10.

Madeline Ladd, Associate Sports Editor

Louisville quarterback Jack Plummer has faced the Irish in each of the last three seasons on three different teams. With a decent defense and star wide receiver Jamari Thrash, the No. 25 Cardinals could hit a big play against the Irish. Overall, the Irish offense played poorly last week despite the last-second heroics. Notre Dame’s offensive line must avoid penalties and give Sam Hartman time to operate as well as the receivers time to get open. Mitchell Evans can’t bail the Irish out with one-handed circus catches every week. 

Notre Dame’s schedule is rough, with this being the third primetime game in a row against an undefeated and ranked opponent. Just like they had to deal with the letdown of the Ohio State loss, they can’t rest on their laurels after last week’s emotional win. I predict the Irish offense will return to early-season form. The defense will rattle Plummer and stifle the Cardinals offense to help produce a decisive Notre Dame win. Notre Dame 31, Louisville 10.

Matthew Crow, Associate Sports Editor

After Notre Dame’s last two weeks, the safe bet seems to be that Saturday’s game will be decided in the final seconds. But I think the Irish will be a little more comfortable against Louisville. The Cardinals impressed during their 5-0 start but have benefitted from a forgiving schedule. Last weekend, they earned a narrow 13-10 win against NC State, an opponent that Notre Dame beat by three touchdowns.

The Irish defense has been highly effective recently, holding Ohio State and Duke to a combined 31 points. Notre Dame will also receive key reinforcements on offense, as wide receivers Jayden Thomas and Jaden Greathouse are both expected to return from injury. The Irish will open a two-touchdown lead in the first quarter and retain that margin throughout the game. Notre Dame 31, Louisville 17.

Tom Zwiller, Senior Sports Writer

I spent last Friday at Carter-Finley Stadium watching Louisville play NC State since I was only 15 minutes from the stadium (to watch Notre Dame play Duke). And this Louisville team should not be ranked. 

Jack Plummer looked poor in his outing against the Wolfpack. He seemed to have poor pocket awareness, and when he was forced to move, he did not make good passes. Notre Dame can sack him and take away the ball in the air. Wide receivers Chris Bell and Jamari Thrash and running back Maurice Turner are genuinely good players who can give Notre Dame some problems, especially if the Irish struggle to tackle. 

Offensively, this should be a game where Notre Dame thrives on the ground. NC State didn’t capitalize on it because they do not have the same caliber of offensive line that the Irish do, but I think the lanes are certainly there. Notre Dame 31, Louisville 21.

Sign up for our Observer Sports newsletter!Have an Irish sports question? Ask it for our Observer Sports mailbag!