Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

Senate discusses Student Union funding, postpones consideration of Moreau resolution

The Notre Dame Student Senate convened for a brief meeting Wednesday night to discuss the funding of the Student Union and delay consideration of a resolution addressing the proposed changes to The Moreau First Year Experience.

Student body vice president Aidan Rezner began the meeting by promoting Student Government’s “Steps to Wellness Week.” The week will continue with a letter writing event in Duncan on Thursday and a carnation/journal giveaway in the dining hall Friday. 

Rezner also encouraged senators to promote the Walk the Walk Week donation drive, which will support the assembly of “dignity kits” during Walk the Walk Week in January. The kits will be distributed through organizations in South Bend and provide basic hygiene supplies and winter gear.

“We’re hoping to be able to get to $12,000. It goes to a really good cause, and be sure to spread it around your dorms,” Rezner said. Donations will be accepted through next Thursday, added student body president Daniel Jung.

1701291655-396e36e9741a2bb-700x525
Student Union Treasurer Hannah Blaskiewicz reviewed the process of funding during Wednesday nights Student Senate meeting.

Student Union Treasurer Hannah Blaskiewicz then gave her constitutionally-mandated overview of how the Student Union is funded.

Financial support for the Student Union is overseen by the Financial Management Board (FMB). The Student Union encompasses student government, Senate, Hall President’s Council, Club Coordination Council, Judicial Council, Student Union Board, the class councils, Off-Campus Council and FUEL (First Undergraduate Experience in Leadership). 

Funding for the Student Union comes from three sources, Blaskiewicz said: student activity fees, the Student Union endowment and The Shirt revenue.

The student activity fee is charged to each student annually, and it has stood at $95 since 2012.

The Student Union endowment was created in 2007 with the help of the student body president and vice president, Blaskiewicz said. Any interest from the endowment is allocated at spring allocation to different Student Union organizations, as determined by FMB.

“Origially, this principal investment was about $600,000 — that's only grown since then,” Blaskiewicz said.

Finally, revenue from sales of the previous year’s The Shirt funds the Student Union through two channels, Blaskiewicz explained. $125,000 of The Shirt revenue is allocated directly by FMB during spring allocation to the Student Union. After allocating funds to the Student Experience Fund, all remaining proceeds are split between the Student Union Endowment, The Shirt Charity Fund and the Office of Student Enrichment Endowment.

Blaskiewicz previewed the fiscal year calendar. Spring allocation occurs in April or May, and winter reallocation occurs in December or January.

There were no general orders. A resolution regarding the proposed changes to the Moreau curriculum remained in new business after a vote to move the resolution to general orders failed. 

According to William C. Mattison III, the inaugural faculty director of the expanded Moreau program, the second semester of Moreau — which is generally taken in the spring semester of freshman year — will be repositioned to later in a student’s course of study. These and other changes to the curriculum have yet to be confirmed.

The resolution, which calls on the University to maintain the Moreau course exclusive to first-year students, will be heard at next week’s meeting.