Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Hockey players from Soviet Bloc discuss experience moving to play in NHL

1701432982-51bb60d2d9af38f-700x525
Retired elite hockey player who grew up behind the Iron Curtain speak at a Nanovic Institute panel Nov. 30, 2023.

On Thursday, the Nanovic Institute hosted a panel discussion on the intersection between life in the Soviet Union and athletics. Tom Heiden was the moderator and chief architect of the program. 

The fall of the Iron Curtain, symbolized by the opening of the Berlin Wall on Nov. 9, 1989, represented the end of decades-long Cold War tensions between the Eastern Bloc and the Western world — a world in which the following nationally and internationally acclaimed hockey players lived in. 

“Those people who were there, who saw it, lived and knew what it was like to live under the heel of the book of the Russian bear,” Heiden said, as he pointed to the panel. 

The panel consisted of Vaclav Nedomansky, Dmitri Khristich, Anton Šťastný and his brother Peter Šťastný. 

Nedomansky defected in 1974, becoming one of the first elite hockey players to escape from behind the Soviet bloc to play in the National Hockey League (NHL). He is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame and was an NHL All-Star.

Khristich was born in Ukraine and was called back to be the head coach of the National Hockey team this past February as the country was under attack. He played in 811 NHL games and earned 596 points.

Anton Šťastný was on the Czechoslovakia national team along with his brother when they both decided to leave and head for Quebec.

Heiden said their reasoning behind their decision was “to be free men and have freedom for themselves and their families.”

Anton Šťastný played 650 games during his time in the NHL, earning 636 points. Peter Šťastný, also referred to as “Peter the Great” in the hockey community, earned 1,239 points during his career. He is also a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

When asked why he chose to participate in the panel, Anton Šťastný referred to an article that was written about him with a headline that referenced his inability to complain about his situation. He said he believes this best sums up his time in Czechoslovakia under Russian influence.

Due to both of them playing on the Czechoslovakian national team, they were allowed certain perks such as traveling once a year, owning cars, having access to education and being paid well, Anton Šťastný said.

So the guy in that article was perfectly right. I could not complain,” he said.However, he said he and his brother still faced difficulties. 

“We had issues because there are some dealings that are not very kosher. We were struggling,” Anton Šťastný said. 

A member of the Communist Party and one of the top managers from the national team visitedtheir hockey team dressing room to share a message, Anton Šťastný said. 

“If you guys don’t obey, if you complain, there is no more national team. No more hockey, nomore university,” he said. 

This is when Anton and Peter Šťastný both said they realized they had to leave the country.

“Freedom is not for free. But don’t take it for granted,” Peter Šťastný said. 

Khristich talked about the punishments that came from someone pushing back against the regime. 

“A visit to jail to be taken away from pro sports … It could be anything. It depends on what you’ve done wrong compared to what you should have done. Just to be normal like everybody else,” Khristich said.

As someone who grew up in Ukraine, he shared what it was like having the influence of Russia so close and having their influence over the country. 

I remember my thoughts when I was a little kid. I said to myself, we’re living in the capital ofUkraine. Why do we speak Russian language first?” Khristich said.