Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024

aaren_fernandez_SCA.jpg

2024 Saint Catherine Award given to senior

Aaren Fernandez awarded for personal excellence, scholarship

During the annual Fall Convocation for Saint Mary’s College Aug. 25, president Katie Conboy announced the 2024 recipient of the Saint Catherine Award, named after the patron saint of scholars, Saint Catherine of Alexandria.  

Kept confidential until the ceremony, Conboy announced senior Aaren Fernandez as the award recipient. Fernandez, a social work and gerontology double major, is involved in several organizations on campus, including the Center for Faith, Action and Ministry (CFAM), the Sexuality and Gender Equity (SAGE) club, the Social Work club and the Feminists United club. 

Quoting one of Fernandez’s anonymous nominators, Conboy said, “It is rare to encounter a student who has sincere passions to make a difference that goes beyond just pursuing social work as a career. Their passion very much resembles a desire to acquire knowledge to better serve others, which mirror the endeavors of St. Catherine.” 

The Saint Catherine Award is presented to a student who exemplifies ideals of a Catholic college education, comprising personal excellence, scholarship, faith and commitment to the College mission. These values characterize the mission of Kappa Gamma Pi, the National Catholic College Graduate Honor Society, which sponsors the award.