Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024

11112023, Dome, God Quad, Main Building, Sofia CrimiVaroli, Sorin Statue, Website Photos.jpg

Notre Dame class of 2028 begins by breaking records

Acceptance rate, application pool, yield rate for new freshmen class set new standard

Last August, about 60 students from the class of 2028 majoring in architecture joined the Notre Dame community. Now just a few days from the start of the semester, the rest of their class is arriving on campus ready to settle into their dorms, prepare for their classes and meet their older architecture counterparts.

The acceptance rate for the class of 2028 was a record low of 11.1% compared to an 11.9% acceptance rate for the previous year. In recent years, the acceptance rate has decreased by about one percent each year.

First-year class size has grown in the last two years, but remains consistent from last year. Approximately 2,090 freshmen make up the class of 2028, compared to 2,075 that enrolled in the fall of 2023 for the class of 2027.

The application pool for this year’s incoming class was another record for Notre Dame. 29,943 people applied, a 6% increase compared to the 2027 admission cycle in which 28,353 first-year students applied.

Along with a record number of applications, the class of 2028 had Notre Dame’s highest yield rate since the creation of the Common App, at 62%. Despite the increase in applications received, vice president for undergraduate enrollment Micki Kidder reported that applications were reviewed as they have been in the past.

“At Notre Dame, every application is provided a comprehensive and personal review,” Kidder said. “This has been Notre Dame’s historical practice and will continue in the future.”

Of the students that submitted test scores, the mid 50% range was 1470-1540 for the SAT and 33-35 for ACT. The class of 2027 had an average SAT score of 1500 and ACT score of 34.

The class of 2027 was Notre Dame’s remains most diverse class to date, with roughly 40% of students being students of color or international students. Kidder detailed the diversity of this year's class.

“The class of 2028 includes 30 percent of domestic students from historically underrepresented groups,” Kidder said. “International students with citizenship from 72 nations make up an additional nine percent of the incoming class.”

The combined 39% of the student body made up of minority students and international students is roughly the same as last year, despite the fact that the 2028 admission cycle was the first in which the use of affirmative action was not permitted. Kidder reaffirmed prior responses to questions about the Supreme Court’s reversal of affirmative action by stating, “The University did not consider an applicant's race when determining admissibility to the University of Notre Dame.”

“There are many stand out qualities about the young people admitted to the Notre Dame class of 2028, including their enthusiasm about Notre Dame’s distinct mission, servant leadership, academic preparation, demonstrated joy and commitment to their communities,” Kidder said.

Incoming freshman Sharon Cho attended one of Notre Dame’s leadership seminars last summer and was immediately struck by the look of the campus. Cho noted that the campus was Hogwarts-like and the perfect size.

“I still remember the day when I first got to ND and thinking ‘my future college better look this,’” Cho said. “Well, that wish became true because look at where I'm going now.”

Cho is from Dallas and plans on majoring in civil engineering. Beyond the campus, Cho called upon the shared pride of attending Notre Dame as a clear positive. 

“Because of the unique traditions, sports, faith and empowering community, everyone enjoyed their time at ND,” Cho said. “Seeing everyone at ND, I realized that if I go to Notre Dame, I will have the best experience there without a doubt.” 

Cho is most excited about the people she will meet and the community she will join. Feeling similarly, freshman Carmela Martinez cited the community as a source of excitement.

“I am most looking forward to growing not only academically but also spiritually and socially,” Martinez said. “Everyone always talks about how amazing the Notre Dame community is, and I finally get the chance to immerse myself in all its traditions, game day festivities and Fighting Irish spirit.”

Martinez is from Chicago and plans to major in chemical engineering.

“I had the amazing opportunity to attend Catholic institutions from preschool to high school, and Notre Dame was simply the best Catholic institution that I could continue to build, deepen and grow my faith and relationships with other kind-hearted people,” Martinez said.