Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024

The Bear Web Graphic.jpg

‘The Bear’ Season 3: Letting them cook

I was late to catch onto “The Bear.” I watched seasons one and two during the late months of 2023, and something clicked in my head. I had heard from many people (my family included) that the show was a marvel of modern television, but I’d heard that before; I could never cling onto shows like “Breaking Bad,” “Succession” or even “Game of Thrones.” But for some reason, “The Bear” worked for me in a way the others didn’t. Needless to say, season three was a cause for excitement when it was announced for a late June release. 

Season three of “The Bear,” now available to stream on Hulu and certain Disney+ subscriptions, follows up on the previous stellar offerings in a way that’s satisfying, but not necessarily mind-blowing. Where I felt the first two seasons were innovations, this year’s episodes built off that foundation and created a very solid set. But, unfortunately, it’s hard not to pale in comparison to such a strong start when you’re focused on doing more of the same rather than pushing the show in the new directions as in the past.

As a standalone piece of work, the season is truly phenomenal. Every season has had its standouts, and season three has been no different; star Ayo Edebiri made her directorial debut with the episode “Napkins,” and it stands out as one of the season’s best, if not the show in its entirety's. Flashing back to a few years before the show’s start, the episode offers great insight to two of the most compelling characters: chef Tina Marrero (Liza Colón-Zayas) and Michael Berzatto (Jon Bernthal). Bernthal’s Michael haunts much of the show, more as an idea than a real character; season two’s “Fishes” offered an insight to the demons that occupy his psyche, but “Napkins” allows the audience to see the man that many of the characters loved and admired. Another clear standout from this year was “Ice Chips,” similarly focusing the lens on a select few characters who might stand by the wayside in the greater ensemble the show usually features. “Ice Chips” features all-time great performances from guest star Jamie Lee Curtis and SNL alum Abby Elliott as mother and daughter respectively, working through their shared traumatic past during a stressful time in the present. Curtis’s Donna also serves as a ghost hanging over the entire show, being the source of the trauma and anxieties that shaped the central character Carmen Berzatto, the titular “Bear” (arguably, it might also refer to the restaurant of the same name he opened in season two) portrayed by Jeremy Allen White.

“The Bear” is a show about the ghosts of the past. Not in a literal sense — it’s actually about the Chicago culinary scene. But, metaphorically, it’s always been about how those that came before us hold influence on our lives and guide us into the people we’ll be. The memories of Carmen’s relationship with Claire Dunlap (underrated guest star Molly Gordon) haunt the third season, a fact pretty much explicitly explained by the comedic relief of the show. Whether it’s past bosses, lost loves or parents, our experiences change how we approach the future. Similarly, the past highs of the series haunt the show. While I genuinely loved the season, I’m not blind to the fact that it also stands as the show’s weakest. But hey! A great show’s lowest points can still be pretty high; it just depends on where you’re looking from.