Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

20240914, Football vs. Purdue, Richard Taylor, Ross-Ade Stadium-3.jpeg

Five key moments from Notre Dame’s 28-3 defeat of Miami (Ohio)

Dominant defense and another big day from Riley Leonard headlined Notre Dame’s win

On Saturday afternoon, Notre Dame football improved to 3-1 with a 28-3 defeat of Miami (Ohio). Here are a few key moments from the first Irish home win of the season.

Irish defense holds, but Leonard’s offense cannot get 10 yards  

Miami got the ball first but was unable to get past midfield. Sophomore wide receiver Jordan Faison, however, muffed the punt, and Miami took over at Notre Dame’s 26-yard line. Three plays later, after getting to the 5-yard line, Miami quarterback Brett Gabbert’s pass was deflected by sophomore cornerback Christian Gray and intercepted by junior vyper Junior Tuihalamaka. Notre Dame would go three-and-out after two designed runs and a poor play choice by senior quarterback Riley Leonard to scramble with at least one open receiver. With a collapsing pocket, wanting to escape is understandable but Leonard stopped looking downfield too early. At times, he is so concerned about making a really bad play (taking a sack, throwing an interception, etc.) that he is unable to make a big play.

Though Notre Dame’s starting field position was less than ideal, the lack of creativity in the play-calling has become increasingly concerning as the season progresses. The Irish had the opportunity to drive down the field but instead were forced to punt. The absence of decisive plays in crucial moments is becoming more evident.

Another field goal fail…

Riley Leonard finally took the fans’ advice and threw the ball deep. He had senior tight end Mitchell Evans, but the defender was too tight on him and never turned his head, making it an easy pass-interference call for the officials. Closer and with a fresh set of downs, Notre Dame had a few glimmers of something: junior running back Jadarian Price rushed for 14 yards and sophomore wideout Jaden Greathouse caught a pass for 12 yards, but the drive stalled. Graduate kicker Mitch Jeter and the kicking unit waltzed on the field for a 51-yard attempt, and a low snap helped the Redhawks get through before the ball was even kicked. The ghosts of Northern Illinois continued to haunt Notre Dame. 

Special teams continue to be an issue for the Irish this season. Miami, however, was at least able to get on the board. When the RedHawks’ drive stalled at Notre Dame’s 8-yard line, their kicker was actually able to kick the ball and got it through the uprights. 

Leonard’s pair of touchdowns

Notre Dame was finally able to get some points on the board with three and a half minutes remaining in the second quarter. The drive started from the Irish 13-yard line. Leonard had a few short passes to the edge, bringing the Irish up the field. Leonard then threw deep for Faison, and the Irish drew a pass-interference penalty, the RedHawks’ second DPI of the game. Two plays later, Miami was called for a personal foul and Notre Dame got another 15 easy yards. A few plays later, Leonard continued his streak of rushing touchdowns by taking it in himself from 8 yards out.

Miami was unable to do anything with the ball on offense and sent it back to Notre Dame. Leonard then had the best drive in his career at Notre Dame. On first down, from the Miami 38-yard line, Leonard hit Collins in stride with a pretty ball for his first touchdown pass in an Irish uniform (it only took 13 quarters).

Gray picks off Gabbert

In the middle of the third quarter, Gabbert tried to get his offense going with a deep pass up the sideline. However, Gray had his second huge play of the game, an interception, and the Irish offense took over at its own 46-yard line. Notre Dame moved the ball with some running plays, and then Leonard finally aimed for Evans running towards the end zone. He was not able to make the catch but drew Miami’s third DPI of the game. Leonard later attempted to find graduate wide receiver Kris Mitchell in the end zone but was denied again. He caught graduate wide receiver Jayden Harrison on the run for 12 yards. Finally, sophomore running back Jeremiyah Love rushed for 15 yards and scored, getting Notre Dame’s third touchdown of the game. 

Notre Dame blocks Miami field goal

In the fourth quarter, Miami put together a six-and-a-half minute drive to try and gain a little momentum and score its first touchdown of the day. It looked pretty promising for the RedHawks. Gabbert strung together a few good passes and Notre Dame picked up a DPI call. On third and 10, Gabbert was sacked by sophomore linebacker Drayk Bowen for a loss of 12, stalling the drive and forcing a field goal. Dom Dzioban’s field-goal attempt was blocked by freshman defensive lineman Bryce Young, leaving Notre Dame feeling good on special teams after an up-and-down day.