Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

Emmy Web.jpg

76th Primetime Emmy results

I have never really watched the Emmys. I have never had a connection to it, and the majority of the time, I do not know what is happening on it. But taking the time to watch this year's Emmys really helped me. While I may not know the shows or the actors and actresses, the Emmys gives me a chance to try a new television show. 

A lot of the awards went to actresses and actors from ”The Bear,” ”Baby Reindeer” and ”Shogun” at the Emmys. That being said, I have never seen or heard of those shows so I am curious as to how these shows and performers received nominations. The only two shows I recognized were ”The Daily Show” and ”True Detective: Night Country.”

I appreciated all of the comedic effort put into the Emmys.  Hosts Dan and Eugene Levy started off with jokes about only being related as an iconic dad-son duo on television. They also teased some of the actors and actresses that were in the audience. Throughout the event, they kept me and the crowd laughing. Additionally, some of the people presenting the awards had effective jokes and small acts. Country star Reba McEntire and second presenter Melissa Peterman joked about having the entire script memorized, and Reba then “forgot” what to say next. 

One aspect I did not enjoy was how the show identified its winners. After the winner walked up to accept, the broadcast displayed their name and what they won for only approximately five seconds. That made it especially hard for me, since I have to know how to spell the names and also occasionally missed a winner's first or last name. It was rather annoying having to go back and forth to catch all the information.

Overall, I really enjoyed this year's Emmys. No one ran up on stage and smacked someone else. There was a lot of support for each winner, especially for the first time Emmy recipients. This was truly a night to remember.

Comedy awards

Outstanding Comedy Series: “Hacks”

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series: Jean Smart (“Hacks”)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Jeremy Allen White (“The Bear”)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Liza Colón-Zayas (“The Bear”)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Ebon Moss-Bachrach (“The Bear”)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Jamie Lee Curtis (“The Bear”)

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Jon Bernthal (”The Bear”)

Drama awards

Outstanding Drama Series: “Shogun”

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Anna Sawai (“Shogun”)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Hiroyuki Sanada (”Shogun”)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Elizabeth Debicki (“The Crown”)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in Drama Series: Billy Crudup (”The Morning Show”)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Michaela Coel (“Mr. and Mrs. Smith”)

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Néstor Carbonell (”Shogun”)

Limited, anthology series or television movie awards

Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series: “Baby Reindeer”

Outstanding Lead Actress in Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Jodie Foster (”True Detective: Night Country”)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Richard Gadd (“Baby Reindeer”)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Jessica Gunning (“Baby Reindeer”)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Lamorne Morris (”Fargo”)

Outstanding Made for Television Movie: ”Quiz Lady”

Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special: ”Jim Henson Idea Man”

Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series: ”Beckham”

Variety and reality series awards

Outstanding Talk Series: “The Daily Show”

Outstanding Scripted Variety Series: “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver”

Outstanding Reality Competition Program: “The Traitors”

Outstanding Animated Program: “Blue Eye Samurai”

Writing and directing awards

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: Frederick E. O. Toye (”Shogun”)

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series: Christopher Storer (”The Bear”)

Outstanding Directing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Steven Zaillian (”Ripley”)

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series: Jen Statsky, Paul W. Downs and Lucia Aniello (”Hacks”) 

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Will Smith (”Slow Horses”)

Outstanding Writing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Richard Gadd (”Baby Reindeer”)

Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special: Alex Edelman (”Just for Us”)

Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series: “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver”