Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024

Abyss.jpg

A letter to a heretical fool

Love, eternity

To the one whom I have always despised most passionately, 

I read your piece in this newspaper two weeks ago, my dearest W, which you so poetically titled: “A love letter to eternity.” I must admit to having greatly enjoyed it. You write well, although your eloquence is really of no use because your ideas are treacherously hollow. You speak as if Truth has been revealed to you, and you alone — you call the man of faith unwise, you imply the seeker of pleasure to be a reckless hedonist, and yet the solution you offer us (for escaping death, that is) is far less developed and infinitely less compelling than those of the aforementioned characters. 

Normally, I wouldn’t be so critical — not because I like you, my beloved W, but because your writing is so comically nonsensical that I never expected it to be mulled over by another set of eyes. But now, most regretfully, this University newspaper has given you a platform, and you’ve only gone and disseminated your soul-crushing nihilism amongst the masses. You’ve forced my hand here, darling W, and I must act with haste, to save your ill-fated readers from the darkness which inevitably beckons. To do that, we must return to a place I swore never again to speak of, much less visit. But alas, it is the only way. So take my hand, most tender W, and let us depart on yet another odyssey; our destination: the Abyss. 

First, however, I sense it urgent to define “the Abyss” for your readership, because you seem disinclined to do so yourself, despite referencing it profusely. The Abyss, as I have come to know it, is the place where humanity’s thirst for meaning, and the lack of inherent meaning within the universe, collide — cataclysmically, in the most tragic of cases. Using that definition, the Abyss isn’t a place at all, but a state of being. If one seeks meaning in their own life but also recognizes that life is devoid of any such meaning — in other words, utterly random — then one consequently encounters the Abyss. 

That being said, I would like to propose the following: the Abyss does not represent the complete vanquishment of hope, but rather, quite the opposite. When one stands atop the rocky outcropping and gazes down into the void, one is, rather conversely, presented with an opportunity to discover ultimate Truth. That is, so long as they are willing to close their eyes, quell their inhibitions, and listen only to the inclinations of their heart. And, should one heed this advice, I suspect that they will have one thought and one thought only:

Leap …

… into the arms of the Lord. 

But before the Spirit overtaketh us, my most righteous W, we must first face the trials of the Abyss. Long ago, three men — A, M and J — stood atop the same ledge that you and I will soon encounter. As they stood, these three men opened themselves fully to the horrors of the Abyss and allowed death’s unquenchable appetite to swallow them whole. After a lifetime of unfathomable suffering, a perfect silence descended upon these men, and in that silence, they heard the voice of Truth. It told them that It could only be understood via a leap of faith; put in layman’s terms, if these men were to ascertain Truth, they would be required to jump into the Abyss — not blindly (as you did a fortnight ago, my foolish W) but with the belief that a divine hand would break their fall; leading them out of darkness, and into the light. Knowing that they had heard the voice of God, and being knights of a most defiant faith, these three men — A, M and J — leaped, and in doing so, looked Truth in the face, and understood that it was good and that nothing more could ever be desired. 

And they were glad to have done so.

Here we are — finally — my sweet, trembling W. The Abyss beckons, but I have not a trace of fear in my heart, and neither should you. Have you readied yourself to accept the unending love of the Lord? Eternal life is only moments away, so long as you are willing to trust in Him. On the count of three, let us leap into the darkness below, and in doing so, we shall surely discover the face of Truth and live in harmony with Him forever. I cannot wait a second more. One ... two ... three …

“Open your eyes, look upon the darkness, and watch your resolution crumble.”

… NO! NO! NO! 

My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?! It isn’t true! All of this has been for naught! God is nothing but a myth, constructed by men like me, attempting to rectify our fear of the unknown! My deepest condolences, cherished W, for I labeled you a fool — worse yet, a heretic! Only moments ago, I thought I knew the meaning to all of this, but now I see reality for what it is and understand that you have always been right. There exists nothing in this comically absurd universe other than ourselves. How vain and terrifying a truth indeed! WHAT ARE WE TO DO, MY WISEST W?! HOW CAN WE POSSIBLY RECKON WITH THIS MOST VILE …

“Leap anyway.”  

Yours honestly,

T.W.

Jackson Lang

Jackson is an aspiring philosopher, nomadic free spirit, and communist revolutionary. He is currently wandering through an alpine meadow somewhere in Kashmir, pondering the meaning of life. If you would like to contact him, please send a carrier pigeon with a handwritten note, addressed to "The Abyss". He won't respond. (Editor's Note: you can contact Jackson at jlang2@nd.edu)