Monday, Sept. 16, 2024

image_50751233.JPG

Activities Night invites students to get involved in campus organizations

Extracurricular involvement, seeing friends attracts students to stadium concourse

As classes and schedules are finalized, it is time for students to branch out beyond their credit hours and into clubs and student organizations, which tabled in the concourse of Notre Dame Stadium last night for the annual Activities Night.

From section seven to 34 of the stadium’s concourse, academic, social service, performing arts, cultural, community-based and athletic clubs advertised their organizations, hoping to appeal to potential members. Tables of information, and sometimes candy or merchandise, lined the concourse path as students filled the space, signing up for email lists and learning more about organizations of interest to them.

After browsing the fair, freshman Emily Rowe realized that she would need to make two trips through all the tables. 

“Everyone was super welcoming,” Rowe said. “[The table leaders were] very excited when talking about their clubs.”

Rowe signed up for the Model United Nations Club of Notre Dame before heading through the clubs for a second look in search of more opportunities. According to Rowe, it was difficult to decide where to stop.

Beyond more academically focused clubs such as Model UN, the activity fair hosted a wide array of organizations. Cultural clubs like Japan Club, French Club and New Jersey Club offer students access to various cultural and geographic communities on campus. The fair also hosted social service clubs, like the club Special Friends of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s which works with people affected by autism spectrum disorders in the South Bend area.

Athletic clubs, ranging from Sailing Club to Climbing Club, allow students to continue their athletic passions and pick up new ones. Baraka Bouts, Notre Dame’s women’s boxing club, allows students to train and compete in the fall tournament. Sophomore Kylie Staebler participated last year and plans to continue boxing this year.

Staebler shared Rowe’s sentiment that the activity fair could be overwhelming, especially if you are unsure what kinds of groups to look for. When asked how her approach to Activities Night has changed since her freshman year, she called upon her connection to a major.

“Now that I am committed to a major, I know more of what kinds of clubs to look for,” Staebler said. 

While pushing through the crowded pathway, junior Owen Roesch advocated for a different approach to the fair. While he no longer uses the fair to sign up for clubs, Roesch is active in the Notre Dame Glee Club, an organization that he signed up for at a past Activities Night.

“[My night includes] going to see all of my friends that are working tables and saying ‘hello’ to them,” Roesch said.

Sophomore Frankie Calabrese Barton was an advocate at the table for GreeND, a club focused on sustainability.

“[I am] glad to see so many people excited about signing up for clubs and getting involved,” she said.