Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024

IMG_7213.jpeg

After winning two games, Saint Mary's Soccer falls to Franklin

The Belles are now 2-3 on the season.

After coming off a big win over Indiana University South Bend, the Belles fell to the Franklin Grizzlies, 1-0. As a result, the Belles are 2-3 on the season. 

While neither team scored during the first half, Saint Mary’s lead 5-2 in shots during the first half. 

Coming out of halftime, Franklin picked up the pace and scored the only goal of the game at the 68th minute mark. They held the lead until the end of the match. 

The Belles were unable to score despite ending the match ahead of the Grizzlies in shots (15-7) and shots on goal (5-3). 

Senior midfielder Grace Barresi led on the field with three shots and seniors Izzi Linus and Mary Kaczynski had two shots each. Sophomore Margaret Slove also had on two shots. Junior goalkeeper Caroline Miklavcic made two saves in goal after facing seven shots. 

Across their five games so far, as a team, the Belles have put up 107 shots, averaging 21.4 shots a game, and scored 9 goals. They have 60 shots on goal and eleven assists this season. 

Slove leads on the field with 3.80 shots on goal and 5.40 shots per game. Senior Izzi Linus follows closely with 3.00 shots per game. 

Saint Mary’s now returns home to face the Anderson University Trojans. The match is set to start at 6 p.m. on Wednesday. The Trojans team is currently 3-0-2 on the season so far.