Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024

IMG_0121.jpeg

Breen-Phillips Hall reopens following renovation

The return to campus this year looked a little different for the members of Breen-Phillips Hall. After spending a year in the on-campus temporary dorm, Zahm Hall, the Breen-Phillips “Babes“ moved back home into the newly renovated Breen-Phillips Hall. 

Notable upgrades include kitchens on every floor, new lobby common space and expanded common spaces with new furniture. Equipped with TVs and plenty of seating, the variety of common spaces provide a convenient space for residents to spend time with friends. “The Pen,“ Breen-Phillips’ biggest common space located in the basement, now has additional seating to accommodate more residents for hall council. 

Breen-Phillips Hall was constructed in 1939 on North Quad and originally opened as a men’s residence hall. It has been a women’s residence hall since 1973. The recent renovations are a part of the University's plan to renovate residence halls to have improved common spaces. 

Breen-Phillips Hall vice president, Molly Wilson, is happy to be back in the newly-renovated dorm. 

“My favorite part of the renovation are the study rooms on every floor,” Wilson said. ”They have ten study carrels each, so lots of space.” 

When asked about her favorite part of the dorm, Gabrielle Fakunle shared how much she loved Breen-Phillips Hall as a whole, but was particularly fond of “Betty’s,“ Breen-Phillips’ share table located in the new lobby common space. 

“I love Betty’s,” Fakunle said.

While many changes have been made to the dorm, efforts were also made to keep renovations consistent with Breen-Phillips original, charming character. The original doors and transoms (the window located above the doors) have been kept intact. Residents shared that this was especially important for former residents coming back to visit. They emphasized Breen-Phillips does not feel like a completely new building, but rather a refreshed version of its old self. 

Residents are excited for what these renovations mean for community building. Senior McKenna Grigoli has lived in the old Breen-Phillips Hall, Zahm Hall and now calls the newly-renovated Breen-Phillips Hall home.

“During our time in Zahm last year with the new addition of our rector, Sarah Motter, I got to witness the [Breen-Phillips] community take on a stronger sisterhood than ever before,” Grigoli said. “It was incredibly heartwarming to return back to our physical home with a bond that has been cultivated stronger than ever before.”  

In the year ahead, Grigoli is excited to uphold BP traditions and create even more lasting memories.

Already, Breen-Phillips Hall residents and hall staff have been utilizing renovated spaces for fun events. A mocktail night was recently hosted by one of the resident assistants in the new lobby area. During the Notre Dame vs. Texas A&M game, residents took full advantage of the newly renovated kitchen just down the hall from their rooms to prepare snacks — something that wasn’t possible before. Breen-Phillips Hall also boasts a new patio and grill, which they plan to use for hosting events with other dorms.