Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

TOBIAS_DWAS_WEBGRAPHIC

New single gives you a reason to ‘Die With A Smile’

Last month, megastars Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga released a collaborative groovy new pop single titled “Die With A Smile” through American record label Interscope Records. Referred to by many as a “banger” and “instant classic,” the song has been and is being met with much critical acclaim and support.

After performing together at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in 2016, Mars and Gaga expressed mutual interest for collaboration and much respect for each other’s art and musical magic. Finally, amidst anticipation for Gaga’s seventh studio album, a star (sonic masterpiece) was born and we couldn’t be happier. The piece has a soulful and simple beginning, featuring Mars’ smooth vocals and crisp guitar strumming, before picking up and incorporating drums in the pre-chorus and reaching an energetic crest in the chorus. Gaga’s powerful vocals take over in the second verse backed by similar guitar strumming as Mars’ verse as well as a strong drumline. Listeners are soon met with heart-touching harmonies as a duet with Mars and Gaga begins to lead us to the second chorus.

Arguably, the best part of the song comes shortly after this, in a 20-second instrumental break immersed in candy-like harmonies, an ever-fulfilling drumline and the enchanting focal point of the melody on guitar. The most memorable lyrics of the tune say, “If the world was ending, I’d wanna be next to you,” making this another sweet and danceable song to play at weddings for years to come. At four minutes and twelve seconds, the song draws your attention and holds it with its hearty melody, immersive instrumentals, thoughtful theme and immensely talented vocalists. Any hit single is incomplete without its music video counterpart. With themes of red and blue, this tune’s music video hosts a stage featuring Gaga, Mars and a band on piano, vocals, bass, drums and guitar respectively. Mannequins are sitting towards the side of the stage, seemingly engaged in the live music. Gaga notably fashions a cigarette hanging from her lips throughout the video, at some points even while singing. Mars sings, strums and vibes wholeheartedly. Gaga steals the show, however, standing up as the lights flicker above her at the instrumental climax towards the end of the piece to dance in what appears to be the most freeing and fun way possible: spinning around to the beat with her arms, legs and torso in constant motion. This dance segment has taken over social media trends and touched the hearts of many, including myself.

“Die With A Smile” is jazzy and uplifting, fitting into genres like pop, soul, rock, country and so many more. With such a dynamic duo of musical storytellers such as Gaga and Mars, there is no wonder why I walk around campus listening to folks playing this aloud on their phone — no headphones, no problem! “Die With A Smile” should meet our ears anyway.