Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024

OBS_4775-Edit-4.jpg

Dowd officially installed as President, announces changes to financial aid

On Friday, Sept. 13, Fr. Robert Dowd, C.S.C., was officially inaugurated as the 18th president of the University of Notre Dame in a ceremony held in the Joyce Center. During his inaugural address, Dowd announced expansions to Notre Dame’s financial aid policy and promised to “build bridges” between communities during his presidency.

Inauguration Mass

The day’s festivities began with the inaugural mass in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart at 10 a.m. Although seating was reserved inside the Basilica, the mass was livestreamed in a tent with seating on Bond Quad.

The mass was originally set to be presided over by Dowd; however, due to his recent COVID diagnosis, it was instead presided over by Fr. Patrick M. Neary, C.S.C., bishop of St. Cloud, Minnesota and a friend of Dowd.

Dowd and a procession of Holy Cross priests entered the cathedral to triumphant fanfare from the special Inauguration Mass Festival Choir, consisting of vocalists, a brass section, a percussion section and the organ. Dowd wore his mask throughout the mass and did not speak.

Readings were read by Dr. Clemens Sedmak, director of the Nanovic Institute for European Studies, and Dr. Sara Martinez Tucker, a member of the University’s Board of Trustees, who gave the second reading in Spanish. The prayers of intercession were also spoken in a variety of other languages, including Bengali, Portuguese, Vietnamese, French, Irish and Kiswahili.

In his homily following a reading from the Gospel of Luke about Mary’s visit to Mary Magdalene during her pregnancy, Neary emphasized his “joy” for Dowd that God “has chosen you as he did Mary.” Neary continued to offer his praise for Dowd, describing him as “full of zeal,” with a “heart of a missionary.”

Neary also offered advice for Dowd, reminding him that all presidents “have deficiencies and weaknesses.” Along these lines, he encouraged him to rely upon the “priceless and wise counsel” of his predecessors, Fr. John Jenkins, C.S.C., and Fr. Edward Malloy, C.S.C., and to ask for God’s help and Mary’s intercession in his “mission.”

Following the mass, Dowd was treated to a standing ovation by his fellow priests outside of the Basilica.

Convocation and Inauguration Ceremony

The official proceedings of Dowd’s convocation and inauguration ceremony began at 2:15 pm, when Fr. Edward Sorin’s letter to the Congregation of the Holy Cross shortly after Notre Dame’s founding was read on the steps of the Main Building. Following the reading of the letter, Notre Dame faculty then began the academic procession from the Main Building to the Joyce Center, where the ceremony was held.

Dowd and the Board of Trustees walked onto the main stage in the Joyce Center to a standing ovation from the packed crowd. After an invocation by Rev. Hugh Page Jr., vice president for institutional transformation and advisor to the President, University Provost John McGreevey opened the convocation.

McGreevy reminded the audience that although Jenkins and Malloy both received inaugurations, President Fr. Ted Hesburgh’s assumption of the presidency had been rather less ceremonious, with him merely being handed the keys to the presidential office. Beyond being an occasion for pomp and circumstance, however, McGreevy emphasized the inauguration serves as an opportunity for the community to come together “to talk about things that matter.”

After the convening of the convention by McGreevy, Dowd received “greetings” from leaders of different parts of the University. Student body president Dawson Kiser spoke on behalf of undergraduate students, doctoral student Sofia Dueñas spoke on behalf of graduate students, Ignacio Sánchez Díaz, president of Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, spoke on behalf of other colleges and universities, professor Laura Miller-Graff spoke on behalf of the faculty and Fr. William M. Lies, C.S.C., spoke on behalf of the Congregation of the Holy Cross.

Following these remarks, John Veihmeyer, Chair of the University Board of Trustees, began his official proceedings by placing the “Presidential Medal” on Dowd’s neck and giving him the “University Mace.” Dowd removed his mask at this point and kept it off for the majority of the ceremony.

“May God grant you wisdom as you lead Our Lady’s University,” Veihmeyer said to Dowd.

Dowd received a standing ovation from the crowd after being officially installed. He then took to the podium to give his inaugural address.

Inaugural address

Dowd began by repeating Hesburgh’s exhortation that Notre Dame must be “a bridge across all chasms that separate modern people from each other.”

“All of us must be bridge builders,” Dowd declared.

Dowd emphasized the challenge of this mission today, citing rising political polarization, religious disaffiliation and war. Despite these challenges, however, Dowd stressed his belief that Notre Dame is well suited to offer solutions.

“Notre Dame is one of the most trusted universities in the United States,” he explained. “No institution is better positioned to foster reason, constructive conversation, rooted in the Catholic ideals of respect for human dignity and the unity of knowledge and guided by the rational ideals of adherence to evidence and consistency in argumentation.”

Along these lines, he emphasized Notre Dame must lean into its Catholic values to address today’s problems.

“In a polarized world drawn to the confines of either-or thinking, our Catholic mission calls us to embrace both aims — both faith and reason, both the life of the mind and matters of the heart, both disciplinary and multidisciplinary research and teaching, both a local and global presence, both deeply Catholic and welcoming of people of all faiths and none,” he said.

Dowd highlighted three main ways in which Notre Dame can build bridges: by creating more pathways to and from Notre Dame, by connecting and collaborating more deeply as a community of learning and by deepening and expanding the University’s engagement in the world.

On the first goal, Dowd announced that Notre Dame will go loan-free and need-blind for both domestic and international students. 

“If you are admitted to Notre Dame, no matter how much money your family makes, you will not have to worry about student loans, and no matter where in the world you call home, you will be eligible for financial aid,” Dowd explained.

On the second goal, Dowd declared Notre Dame must not be afraid “to tackle the contested issues of the day.” A key part of this, Dowd emphasized, comes through supporting research on campus. Along these lines, he also announced that Notre Dame will now give healthcare coverage to graduate students that also covers their spouses and dependents.

“Your families are a part of the Notre Dame family,” Dowd said.

Dowd also stressed residential life as a key part of building a strong community at Notre Dame.

“Learning how to live together is one of the greatest lessons we learn here at Notre Dame,” he said.

On the third point, Dowd pointed out that strengthening Notre Dame’s connection with the world starts by strengthening its connection with the city of South Bend. He highlighted Notre Dame’s new tech and innovation hub in downtown South Bend and promised to build on initiatives in South Bend.

Looking more broadly, Dowd stated his intention to build stronger connections in Latin America, Africa and Asia in addition to the strong connections Notre Dame already has in Europe. He emphasized the global nature of the Catholic Church and the need for Notre Dame to address challenges on a global level.

Concluding his remarks, Dowd exhorted the community to be more like Mary “with arms and hands open, never closed off to anyone, always ready to receive, always ready to embrace.”

After giving his remarks, Dowd knelt for a blessing from Presidents Emeriti Jenkins and Malloy. Fr. Kevin Rhoades, C.S.C., bishop of Fort Wayne—South Bend, then gave a benediction before the ceremony concluded with the singing of the Alma Mater.