Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

matthew-ball-TFE_-9eLmEs-unsplash.jpg

DeBartolo Performing Arts Center turns 20, hosts celebration

The DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (DPAC) celebrated its 20th anniversary on Sept. 19 from 5-7:30 p.m. with a community event featuring local bands, food trucks, a photo booth and lawn games. Free to attend, the event featured performances from DJ Chuck Fry, Brollision and Jerry O’Fonics. Various Notre Dame staff members comprised some of these performing groups. All attendees were offered a T-shirt commemorating the anniversary along with a ticket to be used at a food truck of choice. Food trucks provided dishes such as Korean-Mexican fusion, Caribbean food and pizza and burgers. Also featuring free cupcakes, the event drew students from across campus and members of the South Bend community. According to a graduate student studying global affairs, the event was “awesome.”

He “had fun getting some pizza, . . . listening to the music” and introducing some “international students to ladder ball and cornhole.” 

The DPAC event gave him an opportunity to introduce international students to aspects of American culture.

“[I'm] excited to go to events at DPAC,” the graduate student said. “[The anniversary celebration was a] fun way to start out doing it.”

A freshman studying in the Mendoza School of Business was driven to the event to explore what was offered.

“It was really cool,” the freshman said. “The music was really good, and there’s a lot of food.”

The freshman left open the possibility of participating in or attending events at DPAC in the future.

“[Students are] at the core of what we do,” Ted Barron, the executive director of the Debartolo Performing Arts Center and Judd and Mary Lou Leighton director of the performing arts said. 

Barron discussed the benefits of DPAC to all students, not just those interested in the performing arts. He urges all students to involve themselves in the arts in some way.

“The arts are kind of central to everyone’s lives,” Barron said. 

While students attended, the celebration was not just student oriented.

“[The celebration was] an opportunity . . . to express our gratitude for everyone who’s been supportive of the arts,” Barron said.

Barron emphasized the importance of community involvement in DPAC. He did not want the anniversary celebration to compare to typical celebrations for major milestones at academic institutions.

“What a lot of organizations do is they kind of have a, you know, gala dinner, with, you know, white tablecloths and all that good stuff,” Barron said. “And we said, no, no, no, we want to do something that celebrates our community, all of you who’ve been supporting us over the last 20 years.”

Barron reflected on the hopes surrounding DPAC prior to its opening in September of 2004.

“There was a real sense of anticipation that the performing arts center was going to transform our local community,” Barron said. “So, it’s really great to have a moment to kind of pause and express our thanks.”

The community was present at the event both as attendees and volunteers. Jeri Rain, a retired librarian, resident of South Bend and volunteer at DPAC, was “glad there’s such a good turnout.” When asked about her experience volunteering, Rain responded simply.

“I love it,” she said.