Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024

1701694729-a11db900e4560c1

Fr. Dowd tests positive for COVID-19 ahead of inauguration events

University President Fr. Robert Dowd, C.S.C., has tested positive for COVID-19, the University announced in a statement on their website this afternoon.

“Yesterday, after feeling mild cold symptoms for the last few days, Father Dowd received a positive COVID test,” the statement read. “In an abundance of caution and based on medical advice, Father Dowd will be masked when near others indoors at the various inauguration events.” 

According to the University there will be “some minor modifications” to the scheduled programming. Dowd is no longer scheduled to speak with Admiral Christopher W. Grady, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Ambassador Joe Donnelly, former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican and former U.S. senator at 3:15 pm this afternoon in an ND Forum event.

Tomorrow, Dowd will participate in the inaugural mass at 10 am in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart and the convocation and inauguration ceremony at 2:45 pm in the Joyce Center.

“Father Dowd feels fine and looks forward to the Inauguration events,” the statement continued.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this story said that Dowd was still scheduled to speak with Donnelly and Grady. As of an email sent 9 a.m. on Thursday, Dowd had been replaced by Provost John McGreevy.