Monday, Sept. 30, 2024

unnamed.jpg

Howard Hall hosts 24-hour Totter for Water

Running for a total of 24 hours, Howard Hall’s signature event, Totter for Water, began at 5 p.m. on Thursday.

Members of Howard Hall operated a teeter totter on South Quad throughout Thursday night and into Friday to raise money for Engineers Without Borders. Engineers Without Borders designs volunteer-coordinated projects to address global infrastructure needs including clean water initiatives. 

Passersby could pay $5 to ride the totter, and for $20, they could purchase a ride and also receive the event’s T-shirt. 

Howard residents signed up for 30-minute slots to ensure that the totter was ridden for 24 hours straight. They were also responsible for facilitating rides for those who donated.

Howard freshman Megan Ebinger signed up to work the 3-3:30 a.m. and 5-5:30 a.m. shifts. 

“Campus was very quiet, but we had our music on, and we invited the few people walking by to totter with us, which was so fun … it was definitely the best dorm event so far,” Ebinger said. 

Howard sophomores Sarah Castillo and Olivia Burke were commissioners for the event. They coordinated the event’s logistics, which included filing paperwork with the student activities office, getting approval, arranging for a Kona Ice truck to be at the event on Friday afternoon and coordinating with Howard Hall Council. 

Howard’s merch commissioner designed the shirts, which were sold out by the end of the event.

“I wanted to get more involved with Howard’s community and culture,” Castillo said. “It was cool to see the other side of what it means to run an event for Notre Dame. Planning an event made me have an appreciation for everything the halls are doing.” 

Castillo also added the planning process left her with a greater appreciation for the University encouraging students to host events like Totter for Water. 

Totter for Water took place as families and Irish fans descended upon campus for Saturday’s game against Louisville. While some students rode the totter in the early hours of the morning, others opted to stop by after class.

“Going in the late afternoon is the best time,” Castillo said. “Especially this Friday, because it was a gameday weekend, a lot of families and kids were able to ride the totter.” 

Howard alumni Kate Horanburg ‘02 was on campus for the game and expressed her excitement to see that the event was still happening. She brought her son over to support Howard and ride the totter. 

Horanburg praised Howard’s fundraising efforts. She said, “I think it’s great that dorms have the opportunity to host events that are supporting things outside of the Notre Dame bubble, granting a bigger picture of the world and [encouraging students to consider] life doesn’t stop here.”

The tradition is an important part of Howard Hall’s culture and community.

“The totter has names and handprints of alums and the older girls. It’s a really sweet tradition,” Castillo said. 

As of Sunday afternoon, Castillo was unsure of the amount raised from the fundraiser, but their goal was $5,000.