Friday, Sept. 27, 2024

irish-dance-class.jpg

Notre Dame offers one-credit Irish dance class

This semester, students can take a one-credit Irish dance class where participants learn old-style Irish dancing while also connecting with and learning about Irish culture. 

Shannon Dunne, the adjunct assistant teaching professor for the Department of Irish Language and Literature and the founder and director of the Notre Dame Céilí band, is teaching the class this fall. First introduced in fall 2021 by the Irish Language and Literature Department, it allowed students to connect with and learn more about Irish culture after COVID-19.

“Music and dance are such integral parts of everyday Irish culture that it seemed like a no-brainer to offer this class to teach old-style Irish dancing,” Dunne said.

In the first session offered, 25 students registered, and interest in the dance class grew. By the spring semester, 33 more students participated, some of whom continued taking the class until their senior year or joined the Céilí band and performed at different events along with Irish music. In the years since the class’ popularity has increased and become a fan-favorite among students. This semester there are four subdivisions of the class and it is open to students of all levels. 

The class is unique in the sense that it involves not only studying dance academically but also treating it like fieldwork, Dunne said. She explained that this type of “experiential study” helps students learn and connect to style of dance. 

“It’s not like a traditional dance class where you stand with the teacher and learn. Instead, you’re taught the rules, and then you build your own version of the dance while keeping track of pulse and adding rhythm to it,” Dunne said. 

This kind of freedom is one of the many things senior Hayley Brownd, who has been dancing for three years, loves most. As a former participant in the Irish Dance and Music Tournament in West Ireland, she took the Irish dance class as an elective during her freshman year. The class led to her enthusiasm for joining the Céilí band and eventually becoming the team captain. 

Fieldwork trips to Ireland, which the class has conducted for the past two years, provide students the opportunity to study and work with musicians and dance experts in Ireland, Dunne said. The class can also prepare students for bigger tournaments such as the Western Ireland Music and Dance competition, where students get the chance to participate in competitions at the regional and international levels.

Other students cited breaking up their academic schedule and staying active as reasons for taking Irish dance. 

“It’s a nice break between lecture classes and a good way to stay active throughout the day,” seniors Eric Lawson and Jaidin Esser said.

Senior Casey Brenan said she enjoys the learning process of Irish dance. 

“Since everyone is taking this class for fun, which is outside their comfort zone, I do not feel like I am behind or get discouraged, but rather we all enjoy the journey as we learn how to dance together,” Brenan said.