Monday, Sept. 16, 2024

Nora Ephron Web Graphic

It’s Nora Ephron fall

As TikTok keeps reminding us, we have entered the ‘ber’ months. It’s time to bring out our sweaters, boots and scarves as the air (slowly) gets colder. It’s also that time of year when we, as a community, find ourselves deeply immersed in the emotional and warm embrace of the fall season, forgetting our loneliness as we rewatch many Nora Ephron films. This shared experience, this sense of community, is what makes this time of year so special. 

Films written and directed by Ephron have a particular style that has informed other romcoms. Her unique blend of humor, romance and relatable characters has set a benchmark for the genre. Her films, often set in New York, not only capture the essence of the changing seasons but also inspire a new perception of fall, filled with the emotions that come with it. They have influenced our understanding and appreciation of this season, making us see it in a new, more romantic light.

What most people remember from her films are the incredible fall outfits. Whether it’s Billy Crystal’s immaculate sweater in “When Harry Met Sally” or Meg Ryan‘s cardigan game in “You've Got Mail,” these aesthetics of Nora Ephron’s fall have greatly influenced me and created a sense of nostalgia in Gen Z. Platforms like TikTok have played a significant role in this, with users recreating iconic scenes, making Halloween themed cookies, and wearing oversized cozy sweaters, all inspired by Nora Ephron’s films and the fall season. They have turned this influence into a cultural movement.

Walking down Saint Mary's Avenue amid the fall is one of the most comforting activities. No matter how I feel, I always find solace in the reassuring uniformity of the trees as I make my way to Notre Dame. 

Nora Ephron focused on big, sprawling metropolises, but she always made New York feel like a small town. Her focus on interesting buildings or museums makes me feel like Notre Dame could be in a Nora Ephron film. The grandeur and charm of Notre Dame, its architectural beauty, and the sense of community it fosters, all resonate with the spirit of Ephron’s films. 

According to my alumni father, ‘Notre Dame is the most beautiful in the fall,’ and I couldn't agree more. The sight of the orange leaves scattered on the ground and trees always brings to mind that iconic scene from ‘When Harry Met Sally.’ It’s like a living painting, with Meg Ryan’s big eighties hair, a symbol of the era’s fashion; the vibrant yellow and orange color palette, reminiscent of the fall season; and the blanket of leaves on the floor, a visual representation of the changing seasons.  

Fall always makes me think that I’m in my own Nora Ephron film and maybe everything will be alright. As we start to stress about the new school year, let’s take a moment to enjoy the beauty of campus and fall in love with the new school year.