Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024

unnamed.jpg

Key Moments: Notre Dame vs. Purdue

Notre Dame took a crucial step toward redemption today after a shocking home opener loss to NIU shook the squad's confidence. With their season on the line in this must-win game, the Irish dominated in a commanding 66-7 victory, looking like an entirely different team in their 88th matchup against Purdue. Though the Irish delivered a record-breaking performance when it mattered, this game still leaves some questions about the team unanswered. Here are the key moments from Notre Dame’s commanding performance against the Boilermakers, where they captured the most points on the road since the 69-13 win against Pitt in 1965.

Run game propels the Irish offense

Sophomore running back Jeremiyah Love was the offensive star of the show, with 109 yards on the day including a 48-yard touchdown to begin the onslaught. Fellow running back Jadarian Price was not far behind with 86 yards rushing, including a 70-yard jaunt to the end zone. Senior quarterback Riley Leonard moved the chains with his legs, rushing for 100 yards and three touchdowns in just two quarters of play.

Leonard and Love (90 rushing yards in the first half) are the first two players to both rush for over 75 yards in the first half since Notre Dame’s season opener versus Navy in 2012. In addition, four different Irish players — Leonard, Love, Price and sophomore quarterback Kenny Minchey — scored a touchdown rushing today. This marks the first time this has happened for the Irish since 2000 at USC. As a team, the Irish averaged a solid 8.2 yards per carry with six touchdowns.

ND had 390 yards at the end of the first half, with 278 of those rushing. They would go on to amass 578 yards — 362 rushing — by the end of the game. The Irish had 296 total yards last weekend against NIU, making them look like a completely different team today.

Despite the lack of passing in the first half, (see Quarterback Controversy below) Purdue was not able to stop the Irish run game that pulled them ahead. 

Bold plays in the second quarter finish Purdue 

The Irish were already pummeling Purdue by the time the second quarter came around, but two dominant plays late in the half sealed the Boilermakers’ fate. With 1:32 left in the second quarter, sophomore defensive lineman Boubacar Traore snagged a pick-six, sending Purdue fans flooding for the exits.

The Irish weren’t done yet, though. Junior Jadarian Price's 70-yard rushing touchdown capped off a decisive 42-0 lead to close the half. From there, Notre Dame had its second largest halftime lead since 1996 (second to 45 against Georgia Tech in 2021) and had secured enough room to experiment with their squad for the rest of the game. 

Injuries abound in first half of play

Injuries plagued the Irish, leaving them with a battered squad returning to South Bend. Graduate defensive lineman Jordan Botelho had been enjoying a strong start to the season as a top performer, but quickly saw momentum halted with a brutal knee injury midway through the second quarter. 

Adding to the team’s woes, the Irish lost 40% of their starting offensive line after injuries to junior right guard Billy Schrauth and junior center Ashton Craig. With Schrauth and Craig sidelined, senior Pat Coogan and graduate student Rocco Spindler were thrust into the lineup to stabilize the offense.

Defense shuts down Boilermaker offense 

Purdue first crossed midfield early in the third quarter, where they were finally able to sneak on the board through a 5-yard passing touchdown. The Irish defense had four times as many sacks as they did in the first two games combined, with senior defensive lineman Jason Onye leading the way with 1 1/2 sacks. 

The defensive line finally controlled the line of scrimmage, holding the Purdue offense to only 1 for 11 on third-down conversions. Youth and future also made an appearance today as Traore burst onto the scene in lieu of the injured Botelho. The sophomore filled the box score with a pick-six and two tackles and a sack. Al Golden's defense was on the verge of a shutout, but a collision between two Irish defenders allowed Purdue a late-game gain that resulted in their only touchdown.

Quarterback controversy remains

The Irish came into this game without a single passing touchdown on the season. While Leonard made it happen with his legs and was an efficient 11 for 16 for 116 yards, he still looked jittery in the pocket and failed to throw a touchdown for the third game in a row. But all it took from junior quarterback Steve Angeli was one pass attempt — his first of the season — to change that for the Irish.

His 28-yard deep ball to sophomore tight end Cooper Flanagan broke the seal. Angeli followed that up with another touchdown pass to graduate tight end Kevin Bauman late in the game. While the Irish offense under Leonard was effective, his pocket presence is concerning. A time will come this season where quality defenses will be able to load the box and stop the run.

Questions remain when it comes to the quarterback room and general offense. What lies ahead for the starting lineup? Will Leonard be able to break out of his passing funk and move the ball downfield through the air? Next up, Miami (Ohio).