Friday, Sept. 27, 2024

20240921, Football vs. Miami OH, Notre Dame Stadium, Richard Taylor-34.jpg

Keys to victory: Notre Dame vs. Louisville

With the season on the line, a full-team effort is crucial to overcome a talented Louisville squad

Riley Leonard — step up and deliver

Notre Dame’s senior quarterback needs to put together a complete performance, both in the air and on the ground. The slow start he had in the first quarter against Miami (Ohio) can’t happen again — Louisville is too strong a team to give any early opportunities. Last week, Leonard got in his own head and missed easy throws. Once he settled in, however, he showed his potential with a deep shot down to graduate receiver Beaux Collins for a touchdown. This week, he has to take it further: read the defense, trust his mechanics and make the necessary throws to keep Louisville from loading up to stop the run. This game will be tight, putting an even bigger spotlight on Leonard. He needs to shine.

Be ready to play

The inconsistency under Marcus Freeman has been well-documented. No need to revisit the rollercoaster ride, we’ve all seen it. But now, the Irish have to come out ready to face a talented Louisville team with the season on the line. A second loss will likely knock them out of the College Football Playoff race, and it will only intensify questions about Freeman’s leadership. This is also a revenge game — last year’s blowout in Louisville still stings. The Irish must be locked in from the first snap, as Louisville matches up well in terms of athleticism and will be looking to capitalize on any weakness.

Defense — stop the run

Notre Dame’s defensive line has been too porous against the run. Defensive coordinator Al Golden may be relying on a ”bend but don’t break” philosophy, but giving up 75-plus rushing yards in the first half to a Miami team ranked 110th in rushing is simply unacceptable. Graduate defensive lineman Rylie Mills and Howard Cross III have been MIA this season, and that has to change. They need to step up, stiffen against the run and put pressure on Louisville quarterback Tyler Shough. Louisville has quality receivers including Alabama transfer Ja’Corey Brooks and Chris Bell, who ranks second in the ACC in yards per catch. While junior Benjamin Morrison and sophomore Christian Gray are shutdown corners, they will need help with the loss of junior Jaden Mickey.

Offensive line — hold the line

Notre Dame’s offensive line is battling injuries, down three starters. While graduate right guard Rocco Spindler and senior center Pat Coogan have experience, the line needs to gel quickly to keep Louisville’s preseason All-American Ashton Gillotte in check. Penalties like false starts or holding calls cannot happen, and the line must fire off the ball to create the running lanes needed for sophomore running back Jeremiyah Love and junior running back Jadarian Price. Keeping Leonard comfortable and confident is key, as he has a tendency to scramble too early if he doesn’t trust his protection. 

Run the ball (and not just Leonard)

Love and Price have emerged as one of the best running back duos in the country, yet they’re underutilized. Love averages just 11 carries per game, and Price 6.5. That needs to change. Notre Dame must pound the ball, control the clock and lean on its most dynamic offensive weapons. By establishing the run, the Irish will take the pressure off Leonard and open up more opportunities for the passing game.