Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024

20240907, football, Gray Nocjar, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame Stadium.jpeg

Letter: Bring the thunder

It’s time to step up as fans

Two weekends ago, I attended the Notre Dame vs. Texas A&M football game at College Station, and the experience was electric. From the moment I arrived, the hospitality at Texas A&M was unmatched — the tailgates were some of the most collegial I’ve ever experienced. Droves of Notre Dame fans were welcomed with open arms into Aggie tailgates, where we were offered food, drink and camaraderie in the spirit of sportsmanship. But once the game started, the friendly atmosphere quickly turned into an intimidating fortress. With 107,000+ people in attendance, the crowd was relentless in their support for the Aggies. It wasn’t just a football game; it was a siege. You could feel the crowd feeding energy to the players, and as an opposing fan, I knew immediately that Kyle Field wasn’t just the home of the Aggies — it was their 12th Man.

And then this past weekend, I found myself at Notre Dame Stadium, standing among our fans as we faced Northern Illinois. This was my first home game experience. We were ranked fifth in the country and expected to win easily, but something was off. The energy wasn’t there. The crowd — outside of the student section — felt more like a quiet gallery at a country club than the fierce, proud fans of a top football program. The contrast was stark.

What struck me most was the look on the Northern Illinois players’ faces — pure awe. They were playing on the hallowed ground of Notre Dame Stadium, a place we all dreamed of as kids. But as the game progressed, they shook off their awe and began to believe they belonged. And the truth is, they did. They belonged because we allowed them to.

The question we should all be asking ourselves is: Why? Why are mid-major teams finding their rhythm and confidence on our field? Why have we seen losses to Marshall, Navy and Stanford here? These aren’t powerhouse programs. Notre Dame Stadium should be one of the most intimidating fields in college football, but the home-field advantage just isn’t there anymore.

And let’s be clear: The problem is us.

We, as fans, are complicit in doing nothing to dictate the momentum of these games. The players can’t just roll out the golden helmets and expect a win. Likewise, we can’t put on our Lululemon and Peter Millar gear, sit back and golf clap our way to victory. We have to earn it, just like the team does. Playing at home should never pose the risk of being a “let down” game. If we expect our players to hold themselves to the academic and athletic standards of Notre Dame, then we, as fans, need to take pride in what we can control: competing fiercely in the stands.

Let me pause here to address something equally important: the stadium experience itself. Notre Dame's athletics department must invest in updated audio and video technology. It’s honestly embarrassing. We are light years behind other programs when it comes to creating an immersive, engaging fan experience. There are levels of excellence we should strive to achieve in every aspect of the game, from the field to the stands. Consult the experts and get it done. The technology in Notre Dame Stadium should be as impressive as the tradition it represents.

And let’s talk about tradition. The parable of the talents teaches us to maximize what we’ve been given. Notre Dame fans, we’ve been given one of the most historic venues in all of sports, an iconic program and a responsibility to create an atmosphere that drives our team forward. We need to bring it every time — all the time.

Former Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire recently tweeted: "Notre Dame Stadium must rank last place in toughest places to play in college football. We give no intimidation factor to teams — just all the motivation they need to play amazing vs us."

His words sting because they’re true. Instead of rallying to support the team, we stand by and observe. That has to change.

Similarly, former Notre Dame lineman Mike Golic Jr. called for more intensity, pointing not just to the coaching staff but to us, the fans. After a sluggish first half against Northern Illinois, he tweeted that the team needed to ”hear some yelling” from the coaches, reflecting the overall lethargy in the stadium. These critiques, coming from players who know this program well, should be a wake-up call for all of us.

Represent the brand

Notre Dame is synonymous with excellence — on the field, in the classroom and in character. Being a Golden Domer comes with responsibility, and that extends to us, the fans. Father Sorin envisioned Notre Dame as a beacon of good for our country, a symbol of mind and heart. That vision applies to game day, too. We can and should carry ourselves with class, but that doesn’t mean we lack intensity. If we expect our players to meet the high academic and athletic standards, then we, as fans, need to take pride in our role: competing fiercely in the stands.

Notre Dame Stadium should be the most intimidating place for opposing teams to play — not just because of its reverence before the game, but because of the unrelenting passion during it.

If we truly want to be a top-five football program year after year, the responsibility lies with us as much as the players. We need to make Notre Dame Stadium a cauldron of noise and energy, a place where opponents dread playing. Right now, it doesn’t feel that way.

Let’s take a look at programs like Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and Georgia. Their fans don’t just show up — they participate. At Texas A&M, the ”12th Man” isn’t just a slogan, it’s a mentality. They prepare. They organize chants, they have scream captains, and they even host a Friday night ”yell practice,” where 60,000 fans come together the night before the game to learn cheers. That’s dedication. That’s how you make a stadium a strategic advantage.

At LSU, Death Valley’s atmosphere is legendary. Fans treat every play like a life-or-death moment. And Ohio State’s Horseshoe? A deafening fortress.

So, how do we get there?

1. Organized fan participation: Notre Dame should introduce organized chants and cheers. Whether it’s scream captains or pre-game crowd hype sessions, we need to cultivate an atmosphere where every fan engages, not just the student section. Why aren’t there “Cheer Like a Champion Today” signs at every section?
  2. Education on Game Day Culture: We need something like Texas A&M’s Friday night “yell practice." Opening up the stadium the night before a big game could give fans the opportunity to come together, learn the chants and foster a sense of unity and purpose before kickoff.
  3. Accountability: Attending a game isn’t just about spectating — it’s about actively supporting the team. Whether you’re in the student section or sitting with alumni, there’s an expectation that you’ll contribute to the atmosphere. Notre Dame Stadium should be a place where the noise never stops.
  4. Consistency: We can’t just bring the energy during big games. We need the same intensity every week. Dominant home crowds don’t pick and choose — they create an environment that pressures the opponent from the first whistle to the last.

Bring the thunder

Notre Dame’s fight song and Alma Mater are filled with lines that evoke pride, victory and unity. We can take those traditional words and turn them into chants that ignite the crowd. The Victory March has a line that echoes through time: “Shake down the thunder from the sky.” This embodies everything we should strive for as fans — bringing the thunder for our team, making our presence felt and overwhelming the opposition with noise and support.

Here’s a very simple chant to help elevate the stadium’s atmosphere:

• Leader: “Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame!”
  • Crowd: “Bring the thunder, bring the pain!”
  • Leader: “Onward to victory!”
  • Crowd: “Bring the thunder, set them free!”

Let’s make it happen. Let’s bring the thunder. Our team needs us. Our tradition demands it.

Nathan Hammel

First year MBA student 

Sept. 9