Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024

unnamed.jpg

Long lines, large crowds delay entry to inauguration ball

Long lines and chaotic crowds delay entry to Inauguration Ball

Students hoping to attend the inauguration ball on Friday night faced long lines and a large crowd near the event’s entrance.

The ball, held on the field in Notre Dame Stadium, began at 9:30 p.m. with doors set to close at 10 p.m. The event ended around 11 p.m., though the entry process caused delays.

Freshman Andrew Severino arrived at 9:30 p.m. and encountered a line stretching from the stadium gates to Hesburgh Library and around Clarke Memorial Fountain. Severino estimated he waited until 10:45 p.m. to enter.

“They advertised the drone show so much, but I was in line for so long I never got to see it,” Severino said.

Another freshman, Megan Stecher, arrived around 10:15 p.m. and described a chaotic scene near the entrance.

“The line turned into a sea of people, not a line at all,” Stecher said.

She joined her friends in the crowd but still waited 45 minutes to get inside. Stecher attributed the wait to the crowded and cramped conditions.

“People were hopping over the fences and knocking people over,” Stecher said.

She said she saw a student being removed in a wheelchair after jumping a fence, falling, and being trampled.

“I didn’t think every single person would be trying to get in through one entrance. It was very chaotic,” Stecher said.

Stecher and Severino witnessed students cutting the line.

Once near the entrance, students were asked to scan a QR code and enter their names. Students once they reached the entrance were not asked to show proof of filling out the form, and some were unable to scan the code due to the crowd. 

Despite the delays, Severino and Stecher agreed the ball was very enjoyable once they were inside.

Notre Dame Police Department (NDPD) officers assisted with crowd control at the entrance. A request for comment from NDPD was forwarded to university spokesperson Sue Ryan.

“It was incredibly moving to see the outpouring of support from Notre Dame students at all of the Inauguration events, especially at the Convocation and Student Ball,” Ryan said. “The University responded quickly with guidance and assistance from Campus Safety and Notre Dame Stadium staff. The venue was expanded, and the event was extended to ensure all students had access and could engage in the festivities.”

Stecher, who stayed until the ball ended at 11:30 p.m., expressed appreciation for the extended time.

The Student Activities Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.