Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

unnamed.jpg

Notre Dame to host flu vaccine blitz

UHS prepares for large turnout at this year’s flu clinic, emphasizing the importance of community health

Notre Dame students will have the opportunity to receive a free flu vaccine this week during the annual flu vaccine blitz at the Stepan Center, organized by University Health Services (UHS) and Human Resources. The event is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. 

Neal Connolly, health information technology specialist at UHS and manager of the flu vaccine blitz, highlighted the extensive planning that goes into the event each year.

“We actually start planning this event almost a year in advance,” Connolly said. “We have to put in our orders for the number and type of vaccine that we’re going to get, so we usually do that sometime in November.”

Preparation for the event continues into the spring when organizers finalize the venue and supplies, such as needles and cotton balls. Connolly estimates that hundreds of hours are spent planning.

In recent weeks, UHS has focused on assembling a team of volunteer vaccine administrators and support staff to ensure smooth operations during the event. Connolly mentioned the University’s collaboration with nursing programs from Indiana University South Bend, Bethel College and Saint Mary’s College, whose students volunteer to administer the vaccines.

Last year, the flu vaccine blitz saw around 3,500 students participate.

Connolly encourages students to get vaccinated to protect themselves and the wider Notre Dame community, citing this year's Notre Dame Forum theme of “What Do We Owe Each Other?”

“You could say that we owe each other the courtesy of being as healthy as we can and protecting the community at large by coming and getting a flu vaccine,” Connolly said.

Connolly noted that last year, 75% of students who tested positive for the flu at UHS were unvaccinated.

While flu season typically peaks between December and February  the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) stress the importance of early vaccination.

According to data from the CDC, last year’s flu shot was 42% effective.

Students must register for a preferred vaccination time on the UHS website. Those unable to attend the event are advised to schedule appointments with their primary care provider, local pharmacy or clinic.