Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

IMG_5524.jpeg

Observer on the ground: Purdue

Like Notre Dame’s game at Purdue, the trip to West Lafayette was easy-come, easy-go

Uncertainty with a mix of cautious optimism was our overall tone as we followed the Irish crowds over to Purdue. The day began bright and early, departing South Bend at 8 a.m. About two hours after hopping on the interstate with a whole lot of nothing, Purdue University emerged amidst the cornfields. 

Upon orienting ourselves, my friends and I walked to the tailgating lots spread out among Purdue’s hilly campus. As we passed the dorms on our walk, we were stopped by a student who asked us what “that” was as she pointed to the masses of people and tents surrounding the tailgating areas. Given the blank stare she gave after we said it was the tailgates, we explained the concept of tailgating before a home game to her, to which she replied, “Ooh, I didn’t know that was happening today.” Though I first thought this was a satirical comment on her part, I believe it was more likely just a very confused freshman. Or perhaps a testament to Purdue’s large population of engineering students. 

We enjoyed observing the tailgating culture at Purdue, where we saw many Notre Dame and Purdue combined tailgates. We stopped by a few tailgates to enjoy the scene, finding that most Purdue fans were friendly — especially when accompanied by a Notre Dame family member. Purdue students were clad in their black and gold, but we were pleased to see plenty of Irish green in the mix. However, some Notre Dame fans dressed in this year's “The Shirt” resembling Purdue’s colors. Maybe not the best choice for this away game.

After escaping the 90 degree heat in the press box, we had our pregame meal and watched both teams’ warmups. We then enjoyed the Irish demolition of the Boilermakers. Before we knew it, it was a sea of green in Ross-Ade stadium, as hoards of Purdue students disappeared at halftime. Some had even left as early as the end of the first quarter. By the end of the game, the stadium was quite empty on both sides. The Irish seemed to have some fun on the field.

We capped off the 66-7 Irish win with some Chipotle, returning to South Bend fulfilled and more hopeful than we left it. Whatever happens, at least Notre Dame students know when it’s gameday — unlike Purdue.