Monday, Sept. 16, 2024

erik-mclean-U-Vu_r6qyyU-unsplash.jpg

Pressing play on college

I do not like to watch new shows. In fact, when my mom and sister tried to convince me to watch “Gilmore Girls” with them, I protested. When they would turn the show on, I would stomp up the stairs and close my bedroom door. 

One night they called me down and said I just had to watch this one scene because it reminded them of me. I sighed and protested, but eventually gave in with a pout on my face. Spoiler alert: it was the scene where Dean said he loved Rory, and she just sat there awkwardly. After watching this, I laughed and uncrossed my arms, knowing I had just done that to my ninth-grade boyfriend who had to deal with me uncomfortably changing the subject upon his love confession.

Today, I have rewatched the show more times than I can count. It is not a drama-filled show that keeps you captivated in every episode. The truth is, I watch the show because Rory’s relationship with her mother Lorelai reminds me of the support I have from my own mother. Shows can act as a comfort to us, reminding us about the people we have around us. 

As bad as it sounds, it is not that hard to forget how lucky we are to have certain people in our lives. My mom always went above and beyond for me, so it was never a shock when she would do so. It was more of a shock when I was alone at college for the first time. 

Just like Rory, right after my mom left me at school, I wanted to cry and beg her to come back. Since my mom had always been there for me, it seemed impossible to survive without her right by my side. 

When I was home, my mom’s support was all around me — even if it was just as simple as bringing me a glass of water while I was doing homework. At school, she would not be there to do all of those little things. Of course, this is the nature of life and growing up. Nonetheless, it was unsettling that my greatest ally would now be ten hours away. 

She prepared me to grow up and live independently; however, I knew that I would have to adjust. In this period of adjustment, I needed to find a place of comfort to turn. For me, that place was “Gilmore Girls.”

When I got a grade on an essay I was less than content with, yes, I called my mom. However, I also watched the episode where Rory got a D on her first paper at a new school, and her mom helps her study for the next test. When I got my first complaint about an article I wrote for The Observer, I watched the episode where Rory was yelled at by the ballerina of the dance she reviewed and she went to her mom for advice. 

Now that I am a senior in college, the show has only gotten more nostalgic for me. Soon enough, it will be time to turn to the episode of her having a panic attack for her plans post-graduation. 

During my four years here, I was able to find comfort in a show that reminded me of myself and the people I love. Television can replicate reality. When you are feeling alone, try to find a show that will remind you of the forgotten support you have around you.